When You Wish Upon a Song…

Photo Credit: Natasha Carter

“I hope we don’t lose sight of one thing – that it was all started by a mouse,” said Walt Disney, a long time ago.

Now that mouse has made another contribution, one that doesn’t cost a fortune of dollars en route to central Florida. The Stony Brook Vocalists performed  “Splashes of Disney” in the Tabler Center for the Arts and Humanities on Saturday night to raise money for the Splashes of Hope Foundation.

Splashes of Hope is a non-profit organization founded in 1996 that attempts to brighten the lives of children in hospitals by painting murals on the facility walls, according to a short video presented at the beginning of the show.

“We like working with non-profits,” said Andrew Kirchner, director of the Vocalists and a senior business management major at Stony Brook. “We found Splashes of Hope, which was a bulls-eye.”

Kirchner said that Splashes of Hope fit so well with his group because it is not only a non-profit organization but it uses the arts for the benefit of others, which is exactly the goal that he had in mind.

“My personal goal was to get students at Stony Brook to become aware,” he said as students had the chance to volunteer themselves for Splashes of Hope. “If one person signed up, that would’ve been amazing for me.”

Multiple people from a crowd of approximately 50 signed up, and many more left donations for the organization. Some received face paint and balloon sculptures. It was a festive and light-hearted mood all around, which fit well with the theme of the show.

As for the show, the Vocalists performed 17 songs from across the Disney timeline, ranging from “Someday My Prince Will Come” from 1937’s “Snow White” to “So Close” from 2007’s “Enchanted”.

Many of the singers appeared to have had their songs in mind from the moment that they heard about the genre of the performance.

Nick Mellace, an English major, and Maggie Miller, an electrical engineering and music major, said that they had been planning to sing “A Whole New World” from “Aladdin” for about a year.

Aaron Watkins Lopez, whose major was not mentioned on the Vocalists’ website, said that “Two Worlds” from “Tarzan” reflected the expression of “everything’s going to be alright.”

Minal Kadam, a linguistics and biology double major, said that she had sang “Colors of the Wind” from “Pocahontas” to her siblings thousands of times.

Kirschner had his own solo, performing “Proud of Your Boy” from the extended edition of “Aladdin.”

At the end of the evening, two items, including a portrait of Disney’s Pinocchio, were raffled off to one of the donors.

But regardless of whether they left with a painting or not, audience members were once again enchanted by the power of Disney, the human voice and the willingness to give to those who are less fortunate.