Proposed USG constitution passes

Results of the Undergraduate Student Government’s elections of freshman and senior class reps, and vote for the constitutional referendum. The proposed changes to the constitution passed on Friday, effective immediately. COURTESY OF USG

The Undergraduate Student Government’s (USG) proposed changes to its constitution, introduced on Nov. 9, was passed into the USG constitution, effective immediately.

Less than 3% of the student body voted on the referendum. Out of 443 votes, 73%, or 324 students, voted “Yes” on the referendum; 27%, or 119 students, voted “No.”

Voting took place over the past week, starting on Monday, Nov. 11 to Friday, Nov. 15. The results were published on the USG Facebook and Instagram four hours after voting closed at noon on Nov. 15.

The results ensure the removal of USG’s judiciary branch and will change the way impeachments and other judicial duties function.

Other changes passed in the referendum include eliminating a minimum required office hours for executive council members and changing majority voting. Two more senator positions were created to represent the Residence Hall Association (RHA) and the Commuter Student Association (CSA). The Department of Student Engagement and Activities will now oversee club constitutions.

Additional senators were also elected during the week for the freshman and senior class. Arsh Nasser won the freshman class position with 21 votes, or 42% of the vote. Yusra Abdurrob won the Senior Class Senator seat with 197 votes, or 64% of the vote. 

The constitutional referendum included more than 250 notes of amendments. Find The Statesman’s breakdown of the amendments in an article published earlier this week.

Correction, 11/18/19 10:02 a.m.: Minimum was added in front of required office hours. The language in the USG constitution was changed from “all voting members of the Executive Council shall complete a minimum of 15 hours of office hours each week” to “all voting members of the Executive Council shall hold office hours during business hours of the Undergraduate Student Government.”