Seawolves fall to Blue Hens, record drops to 5-6

Redshirt-senior running back Isaiah White, No. 28, running with the ball during the Stony Brook Football home opener against Bryant on Aug. 29. On Saturday’s loss at Delaware, White gained a career-high 188 yards, rushing on 26 attempts. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATEMAN

For the past 434 days, the Stony Brook football team’s record was .500 or better. Following their 17-10 loss to the University of Delaware Blue Hens (5-6, 3-4), the Seawolves (5-6, 2-5) winning percentage is now .455 and they have now lost five of their past six games after starting the season 4-1. 

The Seawolves’ first couple of drives of the game set the tone for how their passing offense would operate for the rest of the game. On only their third play of the game redshirt-junior quarterback Tyquell Fields heaved a pass into the air as he was falling backward, which was caught by Delaware sophomore linebacker Johnny Buchanan who returned it to the end zone for a score.

On their second drive of the game, Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore decided to go for it on fourth down for the second consecutive week, instead of opting for a field goal; this has become a semi-normal thing for the Seawolves. The Seawolves’ failure to convert resulted in a turnover on downs.

The Seawolves were scoreless in the second half of the game for the second time in the past three games. This was the third time this season when they did not score a point in a half, previously not scoring in the second half of a loss at Richmond.

While the offense struggled to get anything going early, the defense attempted to make up for it. Redshirt-sophomore Casey Williams appeared to have recovered a fumble by Delaware redshirt-senior QB Pat Kehoe, only for the refs to rule it an incomplete pass. On the same drive, Delaware missed a 35-yard field goal attempt with the ball going wide right.

On the second play of the second quarter, captain and redshirt-senior defensive back Gavin Heslop managed to get past the Delaware lineman and block a 39-yard field goal attempt. It was Heslop’s second blocked field goal on the season.

Stony Brook finally put some points on the board with 8:59 remaining in the second quarter after a 24-yard field goal by redshirt-senior kicker Nick Courtney.

Freshman running back Jadon Turner, playing in his first game ever for the Seawolves, scored the teams first — and only — touchdown of the day on a 41-yard run with 5:43 left in the second to make the score 10-7.

Turner enjoyed success in his first game, rushing for 101 yards on only 13 carries including the touchdown. Meanwhile, captain and redshirt-senior running back Isaiah White was the true offensive hero throughout the game. White gained a career-high 188 yards, rushing on 26 attempts. White, who has played sparingly over the past five games, provided the offense with some much-needed help.

After completing only 13 of his 35 passes last week against Towson, Fields managed to complete only five passes against Delaware. Fields finished the night going 5-11 for 45 yards and two interceptions and a fumble which was recovered by White. 

Having thrown only five interceptions through the first nine games of the season, Fields has now thrown five in the past two games. 

The Seawolves defense played rather well during the course of the game, giving up a total of 250 yards. Delaware’s passing game was stifled by Stony Brook, but the run game produced most of their offense, with 163 yards coming on the ground.

Pressuring the QB was not hard for the Seawolves. Redshirt-junior rover Augie Contressa and graduate transfer linebacker Sean Hammonds Jr. each had a half-sack, while redshirt-sophomore linebacker Reidgee Dimanche and redshirt-junior defensive lineman Brandon Lopez each had a sack of their own. 

Having forced Delaware to punt with a little less than five minutes remaining, redshirt-sophomore wide receiver John Corpac joined a long line of Seawolves on the day, when he stood in the backfield waiting to return the punt. Corpac ended up fumbling the ball on the return, which the Blue Hens quickly recovered. 

Stony Brook was forced to burn all of their timeouts on the ensuing drive but got lucky when Delaware called a timeout of their own with 1:08 remaining. On the following play, Kehoe fumbled the ball off the snap, which was recovered by Hammonds Jr. The Seawolves now had 64 seconds to march 73 yards to tie the game. Three short in-bound completions later, game over.

Once again, the Seawolves were short-handed at numerous positions due to injuries. Redshirt-junior defensive back EJ Fineran missed his ninth game on the season. Redshirt-freshman tight end Isaiah Givens missed his sixth straight game with a left foot injury. Captain and senior defensive lineman Sam Kamara is out for the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury and has not played since the victory at Rhode Island. Redshirt-senior defensive lineman Keegan Henderson missed his third straight game due to injury. Redshirt-sophomore running back Seba Nekhet was injured during the Richmond game. Graduate transfer wide receiver Jean Constant also missed his third straight game, due to an unknown injury. Redshirt-freshman running back Ty Son Lawton, who had X-rays taken after the Towson loss, missed the game.

A lost season will come to an end for the Seawolves on Saturday, Nov. 23 when they host the University of Albany Great Danes on Senior Day at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The teams will play in the fifth edition of the “Battle for the Golden Apple.” Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.