Stony Brook women’s soccer drop shot-filled match Boston University

Junior goalkeeper Sofia Manner kicks the ball during a game against Hofstra on Sunday, Sept. 9. On Wednesday, Sept. 25 in an away game at Boston University, Manner had six saves but allowed two goals. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

In a dogfight that ended with 27 total shots taken, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team was not able to take advantage of the opportunities given to them and fell to the Boston University (BU) Terriers 2-0 in a road affair on Wednesday night, Sept. 25.

“I thought we worked hard but made some mistakes in critical moments of the game,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a press release. “We will learn from them and continue to move forward.”

Stony Brook junior goalkeeper Sofia Manner tried to keep up in an offensive shootout with six saves on the day but allowed two goals down the stretch in a situation where she was stuck between a rock and a hard place with the number of shots going up. As the Seawolves could not put a goal on the board, more pressure was applied on Manner to keep the game close. Ultimately, she could not deal with the offensive pressure the Terriers applied despite six saves. Tiny mistakes led to goals that the Terriers, by contrast, did not allow with the Seawolves’ shots.

The Seawolves allowed goals in the final 10 minutes of each half, allowing one in the 31st minute into the right side of the net and in the 81st minute, both being on long shots. The Seawolves initially outshot the Terriers in the first half, eight to six, but BU shot 11 to Stony Brook’s six in the second half. The Terriers were able to keep up consistent offensive pressure the Seawolves could not, and that proved to be the difference.

Stony Brook has been outscored 5-10 over their last five matches, with three games featuring multiple goals allowed after not allowing more than one goal through the first five games of the season. The Seawolves fall to 2-10-1 all-time versus the Terriers in a series that began in 2001 and continues a five-game losing streak against Boston University, their former America East foe. Stony Brook falls to 6-4 with this loss and the Terriers advance to 4-5-1. 

Stony Brook has gone 2-3 in their last five after starting 4-1, and this loss ends a two-game Seawolves’ win streak. This game also snapped a scoreless streak held by Stony Brook in the last two games that included 15 saves by Manner. The Seawolves continue their road trip against Delaware State on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m, a team they won 3-0 against in 2018, creating a bounce-back opportunity as the Seawolves head into conference play on Oct. 3 versus UMBC at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.