Stony Brook looks at parking improvements

The South P Lot, a main parking area for commuter students at Stony Brook. The university plans on hiring a parking consultant firm to assist Stony Brook in assessing parking needs. LAUREN DUBINSKY/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook University’s Department of Transportation and Parking plans to hire a parking consultant firm to “identify both current and future parking needs and improvements,” according to a campus-wide email sent today.

The announcement follows a series of changes made this summer, including more than 100 reassigned parking spaces in the Kelly Quad, Mendelsohn & H Quad, Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium and Administration Overflow parking lots. 

Additionally, more than 100 faculty and staff parking spaces were added to the Tabler Quad parking lot. Next year, with the completion of the Stony Brook Union building, there will be an additional 79 faculty and staff parking spaces.

New ADA-accessible ramps, drainage and curbs were added on campus, and Circle Road was repaved. The university continues to renovate the Administration Parking Garage.

Vice President for Facilities and Services Dean Tufts, who sent the email, did not respond to a request for comment before the article was published.