Stony Brook women’s soccer struggles to contain West Virginia offense

Sophomore junior forward Erin O’Connor in a game against Hofstra. O’Connor scored her first career goal against West Virginia on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019. ABHI CHERATH/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook Women’s Soccer team was outmatched on Thursday Sept. 12, losing to the nationally ranked West Virginia Mountaineers by a score of 6-1. The loss is the team’s largest margin of defeat this season.

West Virginia came out of the gate at full power, scoring in the 10th minute of the game. After going down 2-0 in the 43rd minute, Seawolves junior forward Erin O’Connor scored her first career goal and third point in as many games from an assist from junior midfielder Chelsie DePonte, in the 60th minute.

Despite the Seawolves’ goal, the Mountaineers promptly struck again to make the score 3-1. Adding insult to injury, the Mountaineers scored again in the 67th, 70th and 89th minute to bury the Seawolves 6-1.

“We knew we were up against a quality opponent that was going to take advantage of individual mistakes and they did that tonight,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame press release. “We also knew we were going to have to score on the chances that we had and we did with one on a great goal by Erin O’Connor.”

The Seawolves’ next matchup will see them take on the Fordham Rams at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 19 at 7pm.