Stony Brook women’s soccer defeats Delaware, improves to 3-0

Junior forward Alyssa Francese (No. 11) during the game against Maine on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018. On Friday during a win against the University of Delaware, Francese scored the only goal of the second half, securing Stony Brook’s lead. SASCHA ROSIN/STATESMAN FILE

The score was familiar, and it favored the Seawolves again. The Stony Brook women’s soccer team increased their season-opening win streak to three games as they defeated the University of Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens on Friday, Aug. 27 by a score of 2-1. Following the Seawolves first road game win of the season, the Seawolves are off to their best start since the 2000 season.

The game got off to a rocky start for the Seawolves following a score by Delaware freshman forward Claudia Benz, who scored off a long ball from teammate Jessica Kennett only 15 minutes into the game. The Seawolves managed to answer right back when junior midfielder Chase Rome scored her first goal of the season from the top of the box only four minutes later to tie it at one apiece. 

Junior forward Alyssa Francese became Stony Brook’s fifth goal scorer on the season in the second half when she put the Seawolves up for good in the 48th minute off an assist from junior midfielder Chelsie DePonte. Francese’s goal placed her at ninth all-time on the program’s career goals list with 19 goals, according to a team press release, while DePonte’s first assist of the year made her the team’s leading point scorer this season with five total points on the season. Junior goalkeeper Sofia Manner put up a five save night, including four in the second half, and the goal from Francese kept the Seawolves up for good.

“It is not easy to win away games, especially against a well-coached team like Delaware,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a post-game press release. “I’m very proud of the ladies. They played organized and stuck to our game plan and we were able to grind one out against a good CAA opponent.”

With their third straight win, the Seawolves are off to their best start since the 2000 season, when they defeated Duquesne, Vermont and UMBC to start off the year. It also marks the team’s sixth consecutive regular season win dating back to last season, adding on to their impressive 11 wins in their last 13 games played. 

The Seawolves road trip continues as they head to Philadelphia to take on the Hawks of St. Joseph’s University on Sunday, Sept. 1, at 1 p.m. before returning to a Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium to face St. John’s University on Thursday, Sep. 5.