Akwasi Yeboah announces transfer to Rutgers, reunites with Pikiell

Redshirt-junior forward Akwasi Yeboah in a game against Binghampton on March 9, 2019. He recently announced his transfer to Rutgers University. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

Highly sought-after Stony Brook Men’s Basketball graduate transfer, Akwasi Yeboah, announced his commitment this morning to Rutgers University on his Twitter and Instagram accounts, ending a nearly six-week speculation as to where he might go.

The list of schools attempting to gain the services of the English forward included Texas Christian University, Southern Methodist University, Clemson University, Marquette University and Rutgers. Once Yeboah announced his intent to transfer it was widely thought he would choose Rutgers, due to their head coach, Steve Pikiell, who originally recruited Yeboah to Stony Brook.

“Coach Pikiell made a deal with me and said if my team made it to the finals (in high school), he would come and watch,” Yeboah told Newsday last season .“He came and watched the final game. I did really well, and he offered me [a scholarship] right after the game.”

Leading the Seawolves to a 24-7 record and an appearance in the College Basketball Invitational, Yeboah had the best season of his college career, averaging 16.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 32 minutes per game while earning a spot on the first team All-America East.

This season, aside from earning first-team All-America East honors, Yeboah was voted onto the second team All-Metropolitan along with now Rutgers teammate, junior forward Eugene Omoruyi.

Yeboah played a vital role in the Seawolves’ offense, accumulating 1,317 points in his three-year career with a total career average of 13.9 points per game. He leaves sixth all-time in points at Stony Brook.
Yeboah’s decision to leave marks the fifth time this offseason the Seawolves have seen someone from last season’s roster leave. Head coach Jeff Boals stepped down and took the same position at his alma mater, Ohio University, the transfer of freshman guard Jules Moor and sophomore guard Corry Long and the graduation of senior guard Jaron Cornish.