Tennis earns seventh straight win

A racket and tennis balls on a tennis court. The Stony Brook tennis team is on a seven-game win streak. VLADSINGER/WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

The Stony Brook women’s tennis team continued its winning ways with a weekend sweep of Cornell and Niagara. The team defeated Cornell by a score of 5-2 on Saturday and and then shut out Niagara in a 7-0 rout.

These wins put the team on a seven-game win streak with an 8-1 record overall, making them one of the prime spring teams to watch. The win on Saturday was the first time in program history that the women’s team took down Cornell.

“This was a terrific result for the squad,” head coach Gary Glassman in a press release said. “As always, the doubles point loomed large, and the ladies did a great job of keeping their poise and intensity throughout the match. Cornell is a tough squad and competed hard at every spot. It was the first time in school history that we’ve ever beaten them, and I’m super proud of this team!”

Freshman Jamie Wei and sophomore Nolwenn Cardoso led the crucial doubles matchups with a 6-0 win. Wei and Cardoso both won their singles matches as well.

The Seawolves have been dominating on the road this season, going 3-0 this past weekend as well. They defeated UConn on Friday, March 1 4-3, Fairfield on Saturday, March 2 5-1 and Sacred Heart on Sunday, March 3 4-0.

But nothing was more commanding than the 7-0 win over Niagara on Sunday, March 10. The team won both doubles matches and all six of its singles matches. The Seawolves only lost two sets in all the matches played against the Purple Eagles.

“We did a good job of closing out the weekend today,” Glassman said in a press release. It’s been a long stretch of matches and travel and I’m very proud of how the squad has kept their intensity and focus throughout.”

The Seawolves will finish their long series of away matches and head up to Rhode Island to take on Brown and Providence next weekend.