RockYoFaceCase Returns

The RockYoFaceCase concert series at the University Cafe has officially resumed this semester, with performances by six new bands and many more to come.

The Feb. 7 concert, the first of this semester’s weekly series, consisted of performances by six bands.  Lawn Chair Bombers, August Anthem, Not So Broken, Along the Falls, Yesterday’s Pants and Ignatius J. Reilly showcased their talents.

“The six new bands were great, and we had an amazing turnout — the best in RockYoFaceCase history actually,” said Patrice Zapiti, founder and coordinator of the concert series.

The series, which features several bands and a new theme for each show, returned with a “T-Shirt Time” theme — in reference to “The Jersey Shore.”

According to Zapiti, this reference was meant to be fun and satirical.  Members of the crowd played Flip Cup and “Soda Pong,” and got free custom RockYoFaceCase t-shirts, which were screen-printed during the event.

Zapiti, a graduate student who studied biology and musical performance at Stony Brook, was more than pleased with the event, and said that there is much to look forward to throughout this semester’s series.

“The RockYoFace team this semester is really on point, and our new internal structuring of credited interns and volunteer interns seems to be very conducive to bringing the program to the next level,” Zapiti said.

The recent growth of the RockYoFace team should positively impact the series, according to Zapiti.

“Because some of the aspects of planning and executing that are usually solely my responsibility have been delegated among a team of very competent, reliable and passionate student coordinators, we are able to get more done more efficiently,” Zapiti said.  “I think we are going to have our best events yet this semester — sound will be better, our marketing will be better, our shows will run smoother, and I believe we will be able to better connect with our bands and the campus community.”

Bands will be getting more involved in the RockYoFaceCase event planning process, and some will even be customizing the events to suit their bands’ personalities.

For example, Breathing East, a band that has played at Stony Brook many times before, is having a CD release show in March.  The band is set to help plan the event.

NGHBRS, another Long Island-based band, will also be playing RockYoFace in March, and will be planning the theme and lineup of its event as well.

The RockYoFace team will assist the bands in planning and executing the event, but the bands will have much more of a hand in their own shows than they did last semester.

Liz Trincone, a freshman at Stony Brook, enjoyed the show, but would have preferred if the event had allowed for more social interaction.

“I thought it was decent, it would’ve been much better if it hadn’t been so loud, because it was kind of painful, and it was hard to mingle with everybody that was around you,” Trincone said.

Trincone did say, however, that she would give the show another chance.

The next RockYoFaceCase event is Monday, Feb. 21, and will feature This Good Robot, Future Relative, The Indecisive Few and Special Guests DJ’s, along with a free Dance Dance Revolution tournament.

RockYoFaceCase takes place on Mondays during the semester, the only night of the week that the University Cafe is open to people of all ages rather than the over-21 crowd.