SBU student reported missing

A 20-year-old Stony Brook University student, Michael McLaughlin, went missing on Dec. 13. He was last seen driving a 2008 gray Subaru Impreza. PHOTO COURTESY OF NEW YORK STATE MISSING PERSONS CLEARINGHOUSE

A missing person alert has been issued for Stony Brook University student, Michael McLaughlin.

The 20-year-old went missing on Thursday, Dec. 13, according to the New York State Missing Persons Clearinghouse. He is believed to be driving a 2008 gray Subaru Impreza with New York registration HRE-5719.

The Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps (SBVAC), which Michael belongs to, posted to their Facebook page on Thursday asking anyone with information to contact the University Police Department. 

“He was last seen leaving campus at approximately 4 AM on Thursday morning and a toll stop shows his crossing the state line into NJ at 6 AM the same day,” Michelle Melfi, president of SBVAC and junior biology and sociology double major, told The Statesman.  “Michael is from Cornwall, NY. Traveling through NJ is not his normal route home nor was he scheduled to go home at this time. The departure was unexpected.”

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.