The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

77° Stony Brook, NY
The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

Newsletter

Fire in Cardozo, no injuries

Fire trucks outside of Cardozo College. The building was evacuated after the fire alarm went off on Sunday afternoon. BRIANNE LEDDA/THE STATESMAN

Cardozo College was evacuated mid-afternoon on Sunday after a washer-dryer in the building malfunctioned, according to the Setauket Fire Department, which responded to the incident.

“It was a malfunction in one of the washer-dryer machines in the basement and that caused a small smoke condition,” Scott Gressin, assistant fire chief, said.

Students were allowed back in the building before 2:30 p.m.

Kimberly Pokstis, a sophomore psychology major who lives in Cardozo, said that she was in the shower when the alarm went off.

She wasn’t sure it was real until she got a text from her suitemate, she said, and RAs were telling residents they had to leave the building.

An update from Suffolk Fire Wire on Twitter said that there was minor smoke in the building and an isolated fire in a clothes dryer. No injuries were reported.

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Statesman

Your donation will support the student journalists of Stony Brook University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Statesman

Comments (0)

All The Statesman Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *