Priore inks deal to remain head coach through 2022

Stony Brook Football’s head coach Chuck Priore has agreed to an extension through the 2022 season. Priore has amassed an 83-64 record as Seawolves head coach since succeeding Sam Kornhauser in 2006.  EVAN YUSON/STATESMAN FILE

There may not be action on the field during Stony Brook Football’s bye week, but the program has not remained quiet. Fresh off the heels of three-star defensive end recruit Keith Winfrey’s decision to commit to the Seawolves, Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron announced on Thursday, Nov. 1 that head coach Chuck Priore has agreed to an extension through the 2022 season. Priore’s previous contract, extended in 2016, was set to expire after 2020.

“I am extremely appreciative of the confidence that President Stanley and Shawn Heilbron have in me to help lead the Stony Brook football program,” Priore said in a press release. “I am fortunate to share this with a great coaching staff and administration. I want to thank our players for all their hard work and sacrifices both on and off the field.”

Currently leading a 6-3 Seawolves team that is ranked No. 16 in the FCS Stats poll and is half a game back from first place in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA), Priore has amassed an 83-64 record as Seawolves head coach since succeeding Sam Kornhauser in 2006. He previously went 39-9 as the head coach for the Division III Trinity Bantams. Priore led Stony Brook to four consecutive Big South conference titles from 2009 to 2012, helping the team ascend the ranks and receive an invitation from the CAA before the 2013 season. Stony Brook’s highest ever ranking came in Week 10 of the 2012 season when it was ranked No. 6 nationally.

Priore’s best season came in 2017 when Stony Brook finished the season 10-3 (7-1 in conference), good for second in the CAA. Under his direction, the Seawolves made the FCS playoffs in 2011, 2012 and 2017, surviving into the second round all three times. Two of Priore’s alumni have played at the NFL level — former New York Giants tight end Will Tye and former New York Jets linebacker Victor Ochi.

Priore has been at the helm of several key moments in Stony Brook Football history, including a 42-14 upset over No. 2 Richmond in 2016 and a 29-27 comeback victory against No. 13 Villanova on Sept. 29. The Seawolves have been nationally ranked during every week of the 2018 season.

“Our vision for Stony Brook Football is to win at the highest level, which includes competing for a national championship,” Heilbron said. “Under Chuck’s guidance, Stony Brook has become one of the top FCS programs in the country and it is imperative that we continue to build on that success.”

The Seawolves will take the field for their final home game of the season against the Delaware Blue Hens on Saturday, Nov. 10 at 1 p.m.