Fashion Tips for 2011

It may not exactly feel like spring quite yet, but Stony Brook’s spring semester has officially started. What has also arrived? The spring and summer fashion trends. With the cold weather and snow, who’s really thinking about what to wear on the first day of warm weather? Don’t fret.  You may not be thinking of the upcoming trends for the following season, but the fashion industry has your back.

One trend most designers are showing is bright colors, the types found in highlighters or markers. Clothes expressing this trend are not dull. All colors this season are vibrant, turning any gloomy April shower kind of day into a cheerful one. Designers mix colors together to look aesthetically pleasing, and sometimes pair them where least expected.

An alternative designers use to bright colors is a classic, vibrant white. White pieces seen on the runway had a tailored, fitted look to them. Designers dressed their models in head to toe white, but you could also wear one piece of white clothing, say pants for example, and pair it with a brightly colored top, combining two popular looks of the season.

For the spring and summer, hemlines are going down. seen in countless shows was a longer length of skirts, hitting the mid-calf or lower. Skirts were not skintight. Instead, they hung loosely, but were not shapeless. Jeans received a new twist as well. Skinny jeans have become a staple in most people’s wardrobe, but now jeans are becoming looser and wider in the leg.

Prints are going to be very popular, and what’s nice about this is not just one sort of print either. It doesn’t matter if you prefer florals or polka dots; a print is a print. Test this trend by wearing one print at a time, or if you’re feeling adventurous, mix and match different prints in one outfit. Stripes and animal prints, including leopard and snake, are popular.

What are clothes without some fun details on them? Interesting ones seen on the runway are splatter, kind of like if you took a plain piece of fabric and threw some paint on it, but it looks chic. Feminine details, such as sheer fabrics and lace, are becoming popular. A little bit of lace goes a long way and can soften up any look. Sometimes sheer fabrics are seen in a solid color or print, worn over tank tops.

Belts are starting to be worn more, especially to cinch your waist to accentuate curves. They can be worn with pants, say wide leg jeans, or over a dress, one with longer hemlines for instance.

Even though it’s 2011, the 1970s are coming back in full force. Just look at this season’s popular jeans or the prints being showed off. For more style inspiration of the 70s, check out Farrah Fawcett from “Charlie’s Angels,” or John Travolta from “Saturday Night Fever.” Diane Keaton’s style from “Annie Hall” was adorned at that time. Look for more inspiration by watching “Forest Gump” – Jenny’s style shows off the trends.

So, try a new trend or two, and be ready to wow SBU with your stylish looks this semester.