Women’s Soccer shut out for second time in three games

Senior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh (above, left) in a game against Hofstra on Sept. 14. Johnstonbaugh headed the ball toward the net but it skimmed the crossbar in the game against Boston College on Wednesday, Aug. 29. ARACELY JIMENEZ/STATESMAN FILE

As the final horn sounded at the Newton Campus Lacrosse & Soccer Field on Wednesday, Aug. 29, Stony Brook Women’s Soccer walked off the pitch with a 3-0 defeat against Boston College, its second shutout loss in three games.

The Eagles established a large offensive presence in the matchup with 16 total shots, nine more than the Seawolves. They also generated nine shots on goal compared to the Seawolves’ one.

“For 60 minutes we were involved in a great college soccer game with both teams having some success with the ball, but also unable to completely break down the other,” head coach Brendan Faherty said in a press release. “Credit to Boston College for making the most of their opportunities. It’s not surprising that at this point in the season they are still undefeated.”

Boston College produced numerous second-half chances, two of which ended in goals scored within three minutes of each other. Sophomore midfielder Sam Coffey and sophomore defender Gianna Mitchell each notched their fourth goal of the year in the 61st and 63rd minute, respectively.

Boston College started the match with a goal in the seventh minute off a shot from just outside the penalty box, breaking the scoreless tie. Stony Brook had a chance to tie 11 minutes after as senior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh headed a ball toward the net, but it skimmed the crossbar.

Another Seawolves opportunity came in the 25th minute from sophomore forward Fanny Gotesson, who launched a strike that was saved by Eagles redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alexis Bryant.

The two teams headed into halftime about even on the stat sheet. Stony Brook took two less shots than Boston College and recorded for one more save.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sofia Manner, who was awarded America East weekly honors, finished the matchup with six saves. She currently leads the conference in saves with 29 through five games played.

Senior defender Allyson Baner picked up a red card for Stony Brook in the 61st minute. This was the team’s first red card of the season.

The team will re-group and head to Queens, New York to take on the St. John’s Red Storm for its final game of the road trip on Sunday, Sept. 2 at 7 p.m.