Few Title IX complaints result in action, initial reporting shows

title ix
None of the cases of sexual misconduct reported to the Stony Brook University Title IX office from January to May 2018 resulted in the expulsion or suspension of the accused. REBECCA LIEBSON/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook University Title IX office received 24 reports of sexual misconduct, domestic violence and other related incidents between Jan. and May 1, 2018, according to newly released data from the New York State Education Department.

Out of those 24 incidents, eight were reported to the University Police Department and none were reported to outside law enforcement.  

None of the cases resulted in expulsion or suspension for the respondent. Two of the cases resulted in some other form of sanctions for the respondent.

This interim data is the first to be released under the “Enough is Enough” law, which requires all colleges and universities in New York to submit annual data regarding Title IX reports. The law — signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo in July 2015 — also set certain uniform standards for how schools should handle Title IX cases.

“As the efforts to spread awareness [of Title IX] have increased so has the number of people reporting incidents,” University spokesperson Lauren Sheprow stated in an email.  “This is a testament to the effectiveness of our process in empowering people to come forward, and the commitment we have made to investigating all complaints.”

The other SUNY University centers — Binghamton University, University at Albany and University at Buffalo — reported 30, 61 and 17 incidents respectively. 

Out of the 233 schools included in the initial data set, Cornell University topped the list with 199 reported incidents. 

The number of incidents reported across all schools was 1,762. Across all the SUNY campuses, a total of 676 incidents were reported.