Elderly man found dead near Stony Brook R&D Park

John Wile was found deceased in the woods north of the Research and Development Park on Wednesday, Aug. 8. No criminality is suspected at this time, according to Stony Brook University Police. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT

A Stony Brook resident who suffered from dementia was found dead in the woods north of Stony Brook University’s Research and Development Park on Wednesday, August 8.

Security cameras in the park captured 74-year-old John Wile jogging on Innovation Road around 8:30 Monday morning.

Wednesday morning the Suffolk County Police Department issued a Silver Alert, which allows law enforcement to share details about missing individuals so the public can help with the search.

Chief of Stony Brook University Police, Robert J. Lenahan, sent out an email at approximately 11:45 a.m. on Wednesday asking anyone with information to call the Suffolk County Police Department’s tip line.

Wile’s body was found unresponsive several hours later by a search party which included officials from SCPD’s sixth precinct, Stony Brook University Police Department, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Police, Stony Brook Fire Department, Nesconset Fire Department, Nissequogue Fire Department, Setauket Fire Department, St. James Fire Department, Port Jefferson Fire Department, as well as volunteers from the surrounding community.

“Although this matter is still being investigated by the SCPD, there is no criminality suspected at this time,” Lenahan wrote in a second email sent around 6:10 p.m. on Wednesday. “On behalf of the campus community, we extend our deepest sympathies to Mr. Wile’s family and loved ones.”