Softball earns close win against Fairleigh Dickinson

Sophomore pitcher Melissa Rahrich hits a single against UMBC last season. Rahrich’s RBI gave Stony Brook the sole run in its narrow victory against Fairleigh Dickinson. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Softball was able to participate in one game after a week of turbulent weather, albeit on the road. The team traveled to Fairfield, Connecticut on Sunday to take on the Knights in one of what was originally scheduled to be a three game matchup. Stony Brook finally returned to the field and defeated Fairleigh Dickinson 1-0 in a close contest.

The Seawolves were originally set to host back-to-back games against St. John’s and Fordham on Wednesday and Thursday, but a snowstorm postponed both games. The conditions of the field failed to improve and forced the team to cancel the Stony Brook Invitational.

The sole run scored in Sunday’s game occurred in the bottom of the third inning when sophomore outfielder Jourdin Hering reached base with a single to third. Hering advanced to second base off senior outfielder Ileana Torres’ hit-and-run sacrifice bunt. Sophomore pitcher Melissa Rahrich drove in Hering in the following at bat with a single for her sixth RBI this season.

The Knights closest opportunity to score came at the top of the fourth inning, when sophomore first baseman Madison Emerson broke Rahrich’s no-hitter with a single to first base. Junior third baseman Serena Meehan followed with another single to first base, which advanced Emerson to second base. Rahrich didn’t let the threat of a runner in scoring position affect her as she responded with a strikeout and a pop-out to shortstop to escape the jam.

Rahrich took care of business on both sides of the plate and finished the game with a season-high nine strikeouts in the circle. Rahrich gave up five hits and a walk but shut down the Knights’ offense, allowing no runners past second base. This game was the third complete game Rahrich pitched this season.

The Seawolves were quiet offensively and were out hit by the Knights 5-4. Hering led the Seawolves offensively by going 2-3 and scoring the team’s only run. Torres and Rahrich recorded singles to cover every Stony Brook hit in the game.

The Seawolves were scheduled to play against the Monmouth Hawks on Tuesday, but inclement weather cancelled the doubleheader. Stony Brook will instead begin conference play when they host the Albany Great Danes on Saturday, March 31 at University Field at 12 p.m.