Women’s Track and Field shines at Penn 8-team Select meet

The Stony Brook Track and Field team at a meet in 2016. Amanda Stead set a new school record in the 400m run. KRYSTEN MASSA/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Track and Field traveled to the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Staten Island on Saturday to compete in the Penn 8-team Select meet. They competed against teams from Army West Point, Manhattan, the University of Pennsylvania, Rutgers, St. Joseph’s, St. John’s, Villanova and Wagner.

The event was a personal success for freshman Amanda Stead, who set the school record for the women’s 400m run. She finished with a time of 56.65 seconds.  

Sophomore Emmanuela Lauredent, senior Tiana Guevara and senior Kaylyn Gordon also earned first place titles. They won the 60m hurdles, 3000m and triple jump respectively. Lauredent finished with a time of 8.87 seconds while Guevara came in at 9:54.85 seconds. Gordon’s jump marked 11.67 meters.

“Last night’s meet produced a really nice all round team effort by the ladies who finishing second overall,” head coach Andy Ronan said in a press release.

The men’s team, on the other hand, did not fare as well as the women.

“The men took fifth place and we saw a lot of fine individual efforts, such as [junior] Kevon White in the 60m and 200m, the 4 x 400m team, [senior] Michael Watts and [sophomore] Vann Moffett in the 3000m,” Ronan said.

White came in fifth for the 60m with a time of 7.04 seconds. He also finished fourth in the 200m with a time of 22.29 seconds.

The 4×400 team— comprised of White, sophomore Sean Ideozu, junior Jason Marshall and junior Wayne Williams — came in third. They finished with a time of 3:19.29 seconds.

Although none of the men earned first place titles, Watts came in second place in the 3000m with a time of 8:19.80 minutes. The distance runner tied with UPenn sophomore, William Daly.

Moffett completed the same event with a time of 8:24.86 minutes. He tied for fourth place with sophomore Rob Morro from Villanova.

The women also snagged a couple of second place wins. Junior Annika Sisson completed the 800m with a time of 2:10.46 seconds putting her just behind Mikayla Schneider of UPenn, who finished with a time of 2:10.39 seconds.

In the 3000m run, junior Alexandria Ortega trailed behind her teammate, Guevara, by just three seconds. She finished in second with a time 9:57.10 seconds.

“Both teams have work to do but this was a very encouraging early meet for the program,” Ronan said.

The Seawolves will compete in the Dr. Sanders Invitational in Armory, New York on Friday, Jan. 26, with the races slated to start at 10 a.m.