Campus News Briefing

Student Attacked on Campus

Stony Brook University Police are investigating a confrontation in Kelly Quad that resulted in a student receiving medical attention after he was he was struck in the head.

According to an email sent to the campus community by Chief of Police Robert J. Lenahan, a student was confronted by three people by Schick College around 1:00 a.m.  The assailants reportedly stole money and other items from the student.

By Friday evening, police said that two males and one female had fled campus  in what was reported to be a four door green Infiniti. The car is said to have substantial body damage and is missing a side view mirror.  Police are still looking for any leads on the case and have asked for anyone with any information to contact them immediately.

Provost Kaler to be President of University of Minnesota

Stony Brook Provost Eric Kaler has been named President of the University of Minnesota.   On Friday, Nov. 12 Stony Brook President Samuel L. Stanley, Jr. announced to the campus that Kaler had been named a finalist for the position by the University of Minnesota Board of Regents.

Kaler will become the 16th president of the university, succeeding current President Robert Bruininks.

“The University of Minnesota has held a special place in my heart,” Kaler said in a press release from Nov. 18. “This is an institution with an amazing history of achievement and a central place in the hearts of Minnesotans, but there are some enormous challenges on the horizon. It is truly humbling and a true honor to have this level of confidence bestowed upon me. Karen and I look forward to getting to know this university — and this state — even better in the coming months.”

USG Senate Meeting

After a two week hiatus,  the USG Senate held a meeting in the Student Activities Center on Thursday night. The senate passed the New Student Club Policies and Procedures Act, in an attempt to “restore sanity to the recognition and funding of new student clubs.”   According to the act, the senate found that “The Special Services Council failed to provide a legitimate quantitative and qualitative review of new clubs seeking recognition and funds from the USG and the Special Services Council has not assembled, therefore providing no legal opportunity for new clubs to receive recognition and funding from the USG.”  The act passed  17-0-1.