Defense a focal point in football spring practices

Junior defensive back Tyrice Beverette (No. 6) pursues a tackle against Rhode Island on Oct. 15 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Head coach Chuck Priore named Beverette as a standout player during spring training. ARACELY JIMENEZ/STATESMAN FILE

Spring practice is in the books for Stony Brook Football as the team will wrap things up with its annual spring game at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium Saturday afternoon.

Energy, consistency and playing together as a team are the three major elements that will make the Seawolves a better football team this upcoming 2017 season. The team preached these three fundamentals throughout the spring training process as Stony Brook looks to improve upon its 5-6 overall record in 2016.

“The main thing they have been pushing this spring is to bring the energy every day and to be consistent,” sophomore quarterback Joe Carbone said. “When we bring the energy, it makes it fun to be out here and compete against the defense.”

Head coach Chuck Priore highlighted junior defensive back Tyrice Beverette as one of the standout players in this year’s spring training.

“Tyrice Beverette is an All-League player with potential to be All-American,” Priore said. “I think he’s a guy that certainly will make us push on defense.”

The second all-conference defensive back led the team with 98 tackles on the season, and he was also the team leader in interceptions, with four during his junior season. Beverette also recorded four forced fumbles in 2016, which was tied for a team-best along with junior linebacker John Haggart.

With the ninth-best rushing defense in the Football Championship Subdivision last season, Beverette looks for the entire defensive team to step their game up this coming season.

“We have an elite group of older guys,” Beverette said. “We have 20 seniors so we’re implementing things we have already learned and we’re trying to build on what we did last year.”

Stony Brook’s defense, which ranked third in the FCS last season, will be coached this season by former linebackers coach Bobby McIntyre, who replaces Lyle Hemphill.

“[McIntyre] has been in the family since I got here,” Beverette said. “It’s nothing new. He knows the defense very well and he comes with the same edge the last coach left with so there’s no worries with that. I trust him.”

For junior running back Stacey Bedell, spring training is where it all comes together for his offensive capabilities.

“Spring ball will definitely get you ready for the season,” Bedell said. “You get over all the bumps and bruises in the spring and when that ends you can get ready for the season.”

The speedy running back scored 10 touchdowns and tallied 698 rushing yards in the previous season. Bedell looks to showcase a big year in 2017, as he has continued to improve upon his offensive arsenal during spring training.

“I’ve been trying to improve on my blocking this spring,” Bedell said. “That’s definitely a big factor when you’re playing running back. That’s something I want to focus on, and catching the ball more out of the back field. I was not happy with my third-team. I want to reach for higher goals but first and foremost I want to win a championship with the team.”

The Seawolves will open up the season on the road against FBS opponent South Florida on Sept. 2 and they will host their first game at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium against Sacred Heart on Sept. 16.