Commuter student organizations host drive-in movie event

Students at the Commuter Student Association’s drive-in movie event on April 19. The CSA showed “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” in the South P lot. MARIE MATSUNAGA/THE STATESMAN

The Commuter Student Association and Commuter Student Services & Off Campus Living hosted their semesterly Drive-In Movie event at the South Parking Lot on April 19. They screened “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” which was chosen by CSA’s general body members.

“There was a list of the movies,” Ryan Naughton, senior information systems major and Student Activities Board representative, said. “We actually work through a company called Swank, and they usually provide the list of movies for us that are available, and it depends on the date of the release and stuff like that.”

During this event, attendees parked their cars in front of the large screen and tuned in to 88.1 FM on their radios to receive audio from the film. Those who didn’t have cars joined the event by sitting on blankets in front of the screen. When it began to drizzle, they had to use umbrellas to continue watching the film from their spots.

Despite the rain showers, approximately 50 vehicles gathered to join the event. CSA provided free popcorn and tickets that allowed attendees to get food and drinks from the Three Village Soccer Club’s clubhouse, a food concession stand steps away from the parking lot.

Near the CSA tent, the Community Relations Team, a unit of the University Police Department comprised of officers Jared King, Peter Thomson and Joseph Bica, stood by in case of any accidents. The three officers volunteered to be on duty for the event.

“We always have the university police at this event, specifically the Community Relations team,” Emily Snyder, assistant director of Commuter Student Services & Off Campus Living, said. “They are fantastic. They come not only for the risk management, but they are here for anything we need.”

This event has been held for the last ten years, with only one cancellation due to stormy weather.

“Even the last semester, we had lightning before the movie started,” Snyder said. “It cleared up, which is great. We don’t put it off when we don’t know whether it would happen or not, so we kind of work with it as best as we can. The show must go on, as they say.”