Track & Field dominates competition at Wolfie Invitational

Sophomore Wayne Williams, lane six (second from left), wins the 200-meter dash at the Wolfie Invitational on April 22. Williams was also part of the record-breaking 4×100-meter relay team. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook men’s and women’s track & field teams dominated at the Wolfie Invitational on Saturday, as both teams took first place by over 100 points.

Despite the cold and rainy weather, the men won every running event, only losing ground in the field events where they won only the triple and long jumps. The team scored 283 points, beating Sacred Heart’s 97 points by a margin of 186 points.

The women had similar success by winning nearly all running and field events. The team scored 228.5 points, beating second place Quinnipiac by a margin of 107.5 points.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team broke a 26-year-old school record. The quartet was made up of freshman Ahmed Galal and sophomores Kevon White, Wayne Williams and Shane Harris. The team finished with a time of 42.25 seconds. Harris returned to the track and won the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.95 seconds.

Williams won the 200-meter and 400-meter dash with times of 21.99 seconds and 48.61 seconds, respectively. 

Freshmen conquered several events starting with Spencer Payton who won the 400-meter hurdles in 55.79 seconds. Kyle Kelly won the 800-meter race with a season-high time of 1:54 seconds. Chris Biondi won his debut 1,500-meter race with a time of 4:01 and Vann Moffett won the 3,000-meter run in a time of 8:20. 

Junior Darian Sorouri won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:41 seconds, while sophomore Bryce Hedman won the 5,000-meter run with a time of 15:14 seconds.

Freshman Khadim Ndoye leaped 6.35 meters in the long jump, while sophomore Bradley Pierre jumped 13.09 meters in the triple jump.

On the women’s side, junior Kaylyn Gordon leaped into first place by jumping 11.75 meters in the triple jump and 5.29 meters in the long jump. This past Wednesday she was named America East Field Performer of the Week for the third time this season. Gordon was joined by sophomores Chinque Thompson, Nikki Fogarty and Sarah Militano to win the 4×100 in 47.34 seconds.

Fogarty and Thompson placed first and second, respectively, in the 200-meter race in 24.5 and 24.62 seconds, respectively. In the 400-meter race, freshman Mary Chimezie won with a time of 58 seconds.

In the mid-distance events, sophomore Holly Manning won the 800-meter race with a time of 2:13.30 seconds, while sophomore Annika Sisson won the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:31 seconds.

Junior Talia Guevara was victorious in her 5,000-meter debut, winning with a time of 17:22.31 seconds.

The home meet victory is a promising sign for the program as they gain momentum before traveling to the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania this upcoming Thursday.