Dance Contest Rocks Second Event in Fall Concert Series

(Samantha Burkardt / The Statesman)

Sometimes an everyday conversation is just that, an ordinary, everyday, mundane conversation that leads nowhere.  And sometimes, an everyday conversation spawns an idea, which turns into an aspiration. And sometimes if you get lucky, it later it turns into reality, which turns into a huge success.

Rock Yo Face Case is a prime example of the latter.

The second event of this year’s concert series took place on Oct. 11, and showcased three bands: All the More, Royal City Riot, and SlothBear. Each took their turn captivating the audience in the intimate setting of the University Cafe.

Those with the highest energy in the crowd had the chance to participate in a dance contest that was announced between sets.  Each audience member was asked to dance with those around them. Then a few individuals who helped run the event walked around the room handing out beads to those who danced with exceptional enthusiasm.  Whichever dancer had the most beads at the end won a free t-shirt.

Each band had a different fan base, so the members of the crowd changed as the bands’ slots began and ended.

Patrice Zapiti, a graduate student who has studied both biology and musical performance at Stony Brook, is the founder and coordinator of the event.

“I started Rock Yo Face Case because I had a band and nowhere to play on campus,” Zapiti said. “I wanted to create a show that I would want to play and that I would want to attend in every way. That was my vision. My partner, Carlos Parreno, actually said the name as a joke and I thought it was catchy. To this day he still regrets that he ever said it because he thinks it’s ridiculous, but too late now!”

(Samantha Burkardt / The Statesman)

When asked what she thought of the event on Oct. 11 specifically, Zapiti said, “I think the event on the 11th was a bit under-attended, but the kids that were there were having a great time, which is what I love about the shows we put on.  That is my favorite part of the event in general, seeing others have a great experience as a result of my hard work.”

She said the fact that each band has its own loyal supporters is evidence that each is talented, and is lucky to have a public forum to display that talent.

A short documentary, entitled “The Formula,” tells the story of the evolution of Rock Yo Face Case.  The documentary detailing the development of the concert series can be viewed at vimeo.com