Three players score at least four goals in Women’s Lacrosse 19-3 win

OPTIMIZED Ohmiller PC Aracely Jimenez
Junior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller scores against Bryant on Feb. 18 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Ohlmiller had four goals on Tuesday, including one between her legs. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse has won at an incredible rate in recent seasons, especially when facing inferior competition, whom the team has been nearly perfect against.

Tuesday night’s road game versus Marist was no different. Stony Brook controlled play from the start and eased to a 19-3 victory.

With the victory, the Seawolves have won 42 consecutive nonconference games against unranked opponents since head coach Joe Spallina was hired prior to the 2012 season.

Senior attacker Courtney Murphy scored five goals to lead all players, while junior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller and freshman midfielder Ally Kennedy each scored four in the contest.

But the player that excelled perhaps the most on Stony Brook was someone who did not find the back of the net: sophomore midfielder Keri McCarthy.

McCarthy, who has practiced extensively of late on taking draws with assistant coach Kim Hillier, put forth an impeccable performance in the circle.

Of the 21 face offs McCarthy took on Tuesday, she won 20. The lone loss came when McCarthy was whistled for a foul, granting Marist possession. She tied a team record with 12 draw controls off her usual “self-draw” technique. The play followed up on a strong game Saturday when McCarthy dominated Bryant in draws.

Kennedy scored two goals in a 26-second span to give the Seawolves a 2-0 lead to begin the game, then Murphy netted three goals — all assisted by McCarthy — to bring the advantage to 5-1 with 18:54 to play in the first half.

The next 14 minutes saw the following: two Ohlmiller goals, two more Kennedy goals, another Murphy goal, a pair of senior midfielder Dorrien Van Dyke goals, another Ohlmiller goal, then a goal by Ohlmiller’s sister, freshman attacker Taryn Ohlmiller.

The score was 14-1, still in the first half.

In the second half, Ohlmiller capped off the game with usual flair, notching her final score of the game with her back to the opposing net, flipping the ball between her legs and past Marist’s goalkeeper, Abigail Witczak.

Stony Brook had 34 shots, while Marist had 10. Sophomore goalkeeper Anna Tesoriero stopped seven shots. Her save percentage through three games is .514.

The squad will be inactive until Sunday, Mar. 5, when it hosts Northwestern at 12 p.m.. The Wildcats were one of four teams to defeat the Seawolves in 2016, using a 13-2 edge in draw controls to catalyze an early-season victory.