Suggestions for Sex Playlists

Sex Playlist
Songs of various genres can help spark intimacy. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN

If your sex life is starting to feel stale, one of the quickest ways to heat things up is with music. Spotify has an entire category for romance and hundreds of songs can be found on Apple Music. Here are some songs for your own personal playlist.

“Pyramids” by Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean’s voice is like flower petals on silk. It’s soft, sensual and ridiculously sexy. While songs like “Pink Matter” from his 2012 album and “Channel Orange” and “Nights” on his 2016 release “Blonde” are designed for the bedroom, “Pyramids” is the magnum opus of Ocean’s romantic music. His crooning in the first half is sultry and the instrumental breakdown in the second half of the song is beautiful.

“Often” by The Weeknd

Throughout his career, The Weeknd has been known for his dark and sexy music. His earlier releases are all bedroom songs. However, much of the music from his mixtapes and his first album “Kissland” are shallow and nihilistic. Enter “Often” off his 2015 album “Beauty Behind the Madness,” a song that in essence is as cynical and superficial, but supersedes both characteristics at the same time. The Weeknd’s earlier works are observations of the world around him, and he invites you into that world in “Often.” If you are not a fan of the original version, the Kygo remix offers a reinterpretation that is just as sexy.

“All the Time” by Jeremih

Jeremih by himself is not as sexy as his hit “Birthday Sex” suggests. His lyrics are often muddled with drug references that seem hastily thrown in and the production is lackluster. While there are other artists featured on this song, Jeremih outshines them. Assisted by Atlanta crooner Natasha Mosley and rapper Lil Wayne, Jeremih gives us his best sex song to date. The creative use of FCC sensors on the track adds an element of naughtiness that most of his songs do not provide.

“The Bad Touch” by the Bloodhound Gang

This is the most literal song on this list. Have fun.

“At Your Best (You Are Love)” by Aaliyah

The opening moments of this song are just Aaliyah’s voice. It’s a beautiful, intimate moment between the artist and the listener. From there, that moment grows and suddenly, that intimate moment engulfs the environment around you. It is slow and passionate, perfect for love-making. In fact, most of Aaliyah’s discography is like this. It’s inherently sexy, which is why she should be on everyone’s sex playlist.

“Halo” by Beyoncé

When I was in eighth grade, a friend of mine in tenth grade wanted me to download a bunch of songs for him off LimeWire. One of the songs on the list was “Halo.” His reasoning was that Beyoncé’s rich voice made him go crazy whenever he had sex with his girlfriend. The rich instrumentation of the choir in the beginning coupled with the piano creates that same intimate moment that Aaliyah’s voice does. Beyoncé’s voice adds to that moment.

Literally anything by Prince.

Prince was as close to a sex god as we will ever get. He changed his name to a phallic symbol. If that doesn’t scream “I’m into sex” then I don’t know what does. His guitar licks and voice are incredibly sultry. His entire discography is bedroom music.