Three women place first at Metropolitan Championships

The Stony Brook Track and Field team in a March 2016 home meet. KRYSTEN MASSA/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook women’s track team placed fourth overall at the Metropolitan Championships on Staten Island, where both the men’s and women’s track teams participated at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex last Friday.

Sophomore Holly Manning and junior Kaylyn Gordon dominated, both winning their respective races. Manning finished first in the women’s 500-meter dash with a time of 1:15.98, while Gordon leaped her way to a first place finish, marking 5.82 meters in the women’s long jump.

Gordon also had a second place finish in the women’s triple jump, jumping 12.19 meters. She was just .26 meters away from beating her personal best of 12.45 meters in the competition.

The women’s 60-meter dash was particularly fruitful for the Seawolves, as they had three top-five finishes. Junior Courtney Warden came in second with a time of 8.7 seconds. Freshman Emmanuela Lauredent followed Warden, finishing third with a time of 8.92 seconds. Sophomore Nikki Fogarty raced her way to fifth place, crossing the finishing line with 9.03 seconds on the clock.

Fogarty came in fifth in the women’s long jump, marking 5.82 meters. She also finished sixth in the women’s pentathlon and placed eighth in the women’s shot with a 9.32 meter toss.

The women’s s 4×400-meter relay tandem — consisting of freshman Mary Chimezie, juniors Shanee Grant and Dara Smith and sophomore Melissa Riback — finished their race in 3:56.82, good for third place. Smith also came in eighth in the women’s 500-meter dash with a time of 1:19.61.

Senior Dana Husband had the final top-three finish for the Seawolves. She came in third in the women’s high jump, marking 1.6 meters.

Freshman Taylor Jubilee was sixth in the women’s triple jump, hitting 10.78 meters. Classmate Alyssa Oviasogie finished seventh in the women’s indoor pentathlon. She also had a fifth place finish in the women’s 800-meter dash with the time of 2:39.04 and came in sixth in the women’s long jump, leaping 5.12 meters.

While the men’s team did not have any top-three finishes, it did have one top-five finish. Sophomore Yanik Martin came in fifth in the men’s long jump, jumping 6.62 meters. The team also had a pair of sixth place finishes, as freshman Khadim Ndoye completed the men’s long jump with a distance of 6.61 meters and sophomore Shane Harris finished the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 22.4 seconds.

Harris was also seventh in the men’s 60-meter dash with a time of 7.11 seconds. Freshman Greg Mangarelli finished in seventh place, crossing the finish line of the men’s 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:43.58. Right behind him was classmate Kevin Vinolas, who had a time of 8:47.64.

Harris, sophomore Kevon White, freshman Raymond Gorzela and sophomore Wayne Williams came in eighth in the men’s 4×400 relay with a time of 3:31.89. Ndoye also came in eighth in the men’s high jump, marking 1.84 meters. Sophomore Joseph Stanco finished eighth in the men’s shot put, marking 13.28 meters.

Both teams will compete in the Fastrack National Invitational on Feb. 10 on Staten Island.