Internal Energy Workshop Teaches Students how to Relieve Stress

Classes, homework, jobs, papers and exams: sounds stressful just thinking about it, right?

The anxiety that comes with college life disappeared for three hours when Tyrone Wei came to Stony Brook’s Wang Center the morning of Sept. 25 to teach his method of the Central Meridian Exercise.

Wei started the seminar by distributing three handouts summing up the practice established by the deceased Master Tong, who spent years developing this system.  The Central Meridian Exercise is based off of modern science and ancient Chinese medicine.  Practicing it improves your mental and physical health.

Wei explained that the Central Meridian Exercise is a network of nine major nexuses, or points around the body, that the flow of energy travels to.  As you focus on your energy, it moves from one nexus to the other until the cycle is repeated three times.  Wei gave a list of guidelines of the time (in the morning between nine and ten) and location (indoors in a quiet place) the exercise should be done, along with other helpful tips for participants to follow to get the best outcome of the program.

Wei advised daily fifteen minute practices of the Central Meridian Exercise, which he says will create a strong energy flow throughout your body, causing an increase in energy and harmony to the body.

At the end of the workshop, participants had a chance to test out the exercise.  Together, the group sat in their seats and closed their eyes, focusing their energy in the first nexus located three inches below the belly button.  Once the energy gathered there, it was pushed to the next nexus and continued onto each nexus, creating a circle starting from the lower abdomen, around the back, up the spine, up and around the head, back to the starting point.  At the completion of the exercise, individuals then performed a mini facial.

The Central Meridian Exercise is the beginning of Wei’s teachings.  The Optimum Health Method, which focuses on breathing techniques, is the continuation of the Meridian Exercise that some participants from this workshop plan on attending.

“I’m going to try to do what I can when I can,” said freshman Nicholas Cuellar. “I’m more interested in the healing and breathing in the next section.”

Wei takes pride in teaching a safe method that brings another approach to one’s physical health.  Together, these two methods may bring about harmony.

For those interested in trying out Wei’s Internal Energy Workshop, there will be a repeat of The Central Meridian Exercise on Oct. 17 in Room 201 of the Wang Center from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.  The second part of the workshop, The Optimum Health Method, will take place right after from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.