SB Ballroom Spices Things Up with Latin Dance Explosion

Stepping into the Ballroom Latin Dance Explosion on Wednesday Sept. 15 felt like being thrown into a spicy Havana night club. Fiery hot tunes were pulsating through the speakers as President Colette Vaughan, and partner Colby Allen, colorfully cha-cha-cha’d across the dance floor. Spectators couldn’t help but tap their feet rhythmically as they watched the precision of this savory couple.

Held in Ballroom A of the Student Activities Center (SAC), the event attracted Stony Brook students of all majors and ages. Seats were filled with students who had been looking for a creative outlet on campus and were interested in leaping into the world of dance.

From the start of the event, all guests were encouraged to hop to their feet, grab a partner, and learn a few dance moves. The ‘New Yorker’ became an ultimate favorite step, with a combination of fancy footwork and an in-your-face outward jazz hand.

Kevin Kaminski, a new transfer student and political science major, decided to check out the ballroom dancing team in hopes of finding a fun and fresh extracurricular activity at his new university.

“It was very interesting to learn a new dance, and relieving to see that I was not the only one to be having trouble with the moves either.”

After an evening learning the first eight counts of the tango, he will almost definitely be joining the ballroom dancing club to learn the remainder of the dance.

For 19-year-old Yelena Mirsakova, the ballroom dancing team actually impacted her decision to apply to Stony Brook during the stressful college application days.

“I heard about the Stony Brook Ballroom Dance team from my dance studio. I knew that I wanted to be on the team,” Mirasakova says. “I practically applied to Stony Brook to join the team. Obviously the education and location were a big part of it, but if it wasn’t for the Ballroom Team, I honestly wouldn’t have considered it as much as I did.”

Angelica Rosado, a 17-year-old psychology major, has only been a member of the Ballroom Dancing Club for three days but loves it already. Having practiced ballroom since the fifth grade, she believes the hardest part of dancing is accepting advice on your routine. She looks forward to competing for the Ballroom Dancing Team in the future.

For most of these dancers, few things feel as rewarding as winning a big blue ribbon after a ballroom competition.

“You and your partner convey a message together. Ballroom is stronger because its two bodies moving together rather than one.” Mirasakova siad. “You can show the anger or the love you have with whoever you are thinking of because there is someone there to react and project their feelings right back.”
The Ballroom Dancing Club hosts complimentary dance socials frequently, and encourages anyone interested to check out their website for upcoming dates.