Beverette wins CAA Defensive Player of the Week

Junior defensive back Tyrice Beverette (No. 6) pursues a tackle against Rhode Island on Oct. 15 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

Junior defensive back Tyrice Beverette was named Colonial Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Week by the conference on Monday for his performance in Stony Brook Football’s win against Rhode Island, 14-3, on Saturday, Oct. 15.

Beverette, a Lakewood, N.J. native, recorded a team-high 11 tackles, four tackles for loss, a sack and forced a fumble during the game. The defensive back led the Seawolves to victory and helped limit the Rams to just 134 total yards and a field goal in the first quarter.

His play behind the line of scrimmage was one of the stronger points in the defense. Beverette was able to force a fumble, which resulted in the Rams’ redshirt freshman quarterback Jordan Vazzano getting sacked and forced a three-and-out. On the ensuing Stony Brook drive, the Seawolves were able to score a touchdown.

The game proved to be one of Beverette’s best this season. His 10 solo tackles are a season-high, and his four tackles for loss resulted in Rhode Island losing a total of 22 yards in the game. Beverette currently leads the team in tackles for loss with 6.5 on the season and is second on the team in total tackles with 47.

The award is the first of the season for Beverette and the third defensive Player of the Week honor for Stony Brook. Senior defensive back Jaheem Woods earned the award for his efforts in the season opening win over North Dakota and in the victory at Towson last Saturday.

Stony Brook will head out again for a game against Delaware on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 1 p.m. at Delaware Stadium.