‘Stony Brooklyn’ series continues with Speedy Ortiz performance

Speedy Ortiz playing Irving Plaza in Jan. 2014. GREG CHOW VIA FLICKR CC BY-NC-ND 2.0
Speedy Ortiz, shown above performing at Irving Plaza on Jan. 22, 2014, came to Stony Brook University and played as part of the Graduate Student Organization’s “Stony Brooklyn” concert series. GREG CHOW/FLICKR VIA CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

The alternative indie rock band Speedy Ortiz gave an electrifying performance at Stony Brook’s LDS center in H Quad on Oct. 6.

The Massachusetts-based band started out in 2011 and released their latest EP “Foiled Again” on June 3. The members created a unique name for their genre, “snack rock,” which means they play where there are good snacks.

About 50 people showed up to listen to the band play, creating an intimate setting. Students stood around the band closely, listening to its lyrics and beats.

“In my country, I’ve never seen this before,” Francine Jin, a freshman international student with an undeclared major, said. “We came for a new experience. I was interested how he played the drums because I played the drums in China.”

The band consists of four members: songwriter/guitarist/vocalist Sadie Dupuis, guitarist Devin McKnight, bass player Darl Ferm and drummer Mike Falcone. Together, they have played at popular music festivals across the country such as The Savannah Stopover Music Festival in Georgia, The Village Voice 4Knots Music Festival in New York City and Sasquatch Music Festival in Seattle.

“Sadie was the one who brought the band together, who I knew for eight years,” Ferm, 26, said.

Their performance, part of the Graduate Student Organization’s ongoing concert series titled “Stony Brooklyn,” had a dark and eerie theme. A large screen projected anime images as their background specifically meant for their new song titled “Death Note.” Most of the songs they performed, including “Emma O” and “Raising the Skate,” cast a melancholy mood, but their lyrics’ message was about moving forward in life regardless of any obstacles.

“I’ve been following Speedy Ortiz for a few years, since their debut ‘Major Arcana’ released, and I figured they’d be a great fit for Stony Brook,” event organizer Conor Rooney said in a Facebook message.

Speedy Ortiz promotes safe shows on its Facebook page. The band posted a note with the title “Keep Speedy Ortiz Shows Safe” to inform concertgoers that discrimination and harassment are not permitted at any of their shows. The band wants to play in an environment where there is mutual support and respect for everyone in attendance, the note said.

“I liked the voice and was interested in seeing the band,” Rebecca Yin, a freshman international student with an undeclared major, said.

After the performance, the band sold CDs, cassettes and other souvenirs that eager fans could take home.