Stony Brook to announce NCAA-ready track

An expansion to Stony Brook’s athletic facilities being built in the field adjacent to LaValle Stadium will include a competition-ready outdoor track with a FieldTurf infield for practices, according to Stony Brook athletic communications.

Director of Athletic Communications Thomas Chen told The Statesman that the construction just west of the stadium is the beginnings of what will be an eight-lane, NCAA-regulation outdoor track.

The facility, Chen said, will include a steeplechase water pit and jumping and throwing pits, enabling Stony Brook to host track and field events.

Andrew Ronan, Stony Brook’s head track and field coach, said he is excited about the addition.

“I think it’s a big step for program and the university,” Ronan said. “It will allow us to develop and be successful in the conference and on the NCAA level.”

Stony Brook’s track and field team will have a new place to call home within a year if construction is completed on time, according to Ronan. He said he expects the track to be completed in the spring of next year, with a goal of opening the facility and hosting meets in the fall of 2012.

The FieldTurf infield will serve as a practice facility for several of the University’s Division-I athletics programs, including men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s soccer and football.

The official announcement listed the cost of the project as $3 million.

Chen said that renovations to Stony Brook Arena, which hosted Stony Brook’s first-ever postseason basketball game during the NIT last season, are “in a holding pattern.” The Arena is set to host the Stony Brook men’s basketball team in a nationally-televised game against Maine in February. That game will appear on ESPNU.

Sam Kilb contributed to this report.

This report, originally published on Sunday, September 27, was updated with the cost of the project after the official release on the following Tuesday.