Food workers union reaches contract agreement with Sodexo

A Campus Dining employee behind the counter at West Side Dining. Sodexo and the union representing Campus Dining workers have reached a contract agreement. LUIS RUIZ DOMINGUEZ / THE STATESMAN
A Campus Dining employee behind the counter at West Side Dining. Sodexo and the union representing Campus Dining workers have reached a contract agreement. LUIS RUIZ DOMINGUEZ / THE STATESMAN

After months of bargaining, Sodexo and the union representing Campus Dining workers have reached a contract agreement.

The Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union Local 1102 ratified the contract at a membership meeting on Sept. 29 after an emergency contract negotiation the day before.

“Local 1102 takes its obligation to its membership very seriously,” Local 1102 Executive Vice President Ryan Brunet said in an email. “We are beyond grateful to our shop stewards and the over 300 union food service workers and cooks for their strong support, without which this contract would not have been possible.”

In the contract, workers will receive an 8 percent pay increase. Local 1102 also fought to keep union health insurance as opposed to Sodexo insurance, Brunet said.

“The university and the union will continue to work together to ensure the ongoing satisfaction of all members of the Stony Brook University campus community,” Sodexo Director of Operations Support Deborah McMahon said in a letter to The Statesman.