President Stanley Gives State of the University Address

President Stanley at the annual University Convocation, where he gave the State of the University Address. (Kenneth Ho/The Statesman)

In his State of the University Address Wednesday, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. advocated for the Public Higher Education Empowerment Innovation Act, or PHEEIA that had been rejected by elected officials of the New York State Assembly last April.

“We are not done fighting,” Stanley told the audience of approximately 300 faculty members and students congregated in the Staller Center for the Arts.  “This is simply too important for New York’s future,” The act known as PHEEIA, would allow differential tuition rates among the SUNY Schools, had been proposed by President Stanley as a means for Stony Brook University to cope with persisting budgetary limitations in a high-cost location.

“When you take a nearly 20 percent budget cut in the state allocation, and couple it with the lack of any significant increase in tuition revenue or regulatory relief and enhanced entrepreneurial flexibility that PHEEIA would have provided,you begin to understand why we have been forced to make some very difficult programmatic decisions.”

Stanley, who has held his position on Stony Brook University’s campus for a little over a year, told the crowd, “Without question, the significant reductions in our budget over the past few years have been a hindrance to our plans for continued growth and productivity.”

The university has recently had to close down one of its leased spaces in Manhattan and has had to relocate the sustainability programs that had existed on the university’s Southampton campus due to an inability to properly fund the satellite campuses.

The faculty and staff, the university’s most important resource, have felt the strains of the fiscal crisis the most as the institution can no longer support past staffing levels.

“Of the 2010-11 State Purpose Funding, 81 percent is used for personnel,” Stanley said. “We have very few areas other than personnel where we can make significant reductions.”

To cope with the nearly $59 million loss in the budget since April 1, 2008, Stony Brook university has been offering faculty members incentives for early retirement and voluntary separation programs.

“We are going to lose many highly valued and highly  qualified employees who will take with them a considerable amount of knowledge and experience when they leave the University,” Stanley said.

Officially, 61 faculty members have agreed to accept early retirement incentives while an additional 163 individuals have submitted paperwork expressing interest in taking advantage of the different separation programs, Stanley said these positions will not be filled immediately.

Budgetary limitations will now not only affect faculty and staff but will also have an effect on the admissions process for prospective freshmen.

“To maintain the level of quality that is expected from a top tier institution and to do what is right for our current students and faculty, we have decided to cap our undergraduate enrollment,” Stanley said.

Despite the sobering facts surrounding the financial struggles of the university, Stanley was sure to recognize the prestigious achievements and awards of more than 15 Stony Brook University Faculty and staff members. Along with awards given to select individuals of the Stony Brook community, the university received 102 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or ARRA, awards resulting in more than $55 million in ARRA funds and an additional $11 million in indirect funding for sponsored research.

Stanley also took time to share his hopes for Project 50 Forward, a program that will enhance fundamental teaching, research and service missions of Stony Brook University in which the Baine & Company consulting group has been employed to help improve efficiency on campus.

“I believe that Project 50 Forward will add value to the Stony Brook degree, propel us into the ranks of the top 20 public research universities and make a positive impact on everyone associated with this great institution,”  Stanley said.  “With Project 50 Forward as our blueprint, we can accomplish all of our goals.”

President Stanley ultimately appeared optimistic about the future despite the numerous fiscally related struggles regarding the university.

“There is no question that we face challenges, but I am absolutely convinced that we have the creativity and the resourcefulness on this campus to rise above the hard times.”