Erdei sinks only goal in win over Canisius

Junior forward Vince Erdei (above, left) keeps possession in a game against Hofstra on August 26 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

After being beaten down by Buffalo on Friday morning, the Stony Brook Men’s Soccer team looked to use Sunday’s game as a course correction.

That’s exactly what they did, as an early first half goal proved to be all that was needed. The Seawolves took down the Canisius Golden Griffins, 1-0, Sunday afternoon.

Despite going scoreless, Canisius was extremely aggressive on offense. The Golden Griffins were able to take 21 shots to Stony Brook’s 11, tallied seven shots on goal to Stony Brook’s four and attempted eight corner kicks to Stony Brook’s four. Luckily for the Seawolves, none of them found the back of the net.

The game’s hero was junior forward Vince Erdei, who netted the lone goal of the afternoon on the Seawolves’ first shot of the day. After a long throw-in from junior defender Barnabas Mako that was punched away by Canisius’ keeper, Erdei waited for the ball to land at his feet then lasered it into goal to give the Seawolves a 1-0 lead.

The rest of the game came down to redshirt junior goalkeeper Tom McMahon, who made seven total saves on the day and recorded his second clean sheet of the young season. His big game started early on, when he closed down on sophomore Melvin Blair and made a kick save with his right foot.

The Seawolves had productive offensive moments during the second half, but were not able to put the ball in the back of the net. Erdei had another chance to push Stony Brook’s lead further after he cut inside with the ball and ripped a shot to the back post that the sprawling redshirt junior goalkeeper Marco Trivellato was just able to save.

During the second half, Canisius never took its foot off the gas, as it vied to find that tying goal. No matter what they tried, their shots were saved, cleared or just missed. When it came down to the final whistle of the day, it was Stony Brook who came out on top.

With a majority of their season on the road, the Seawolves have already matched their total road wins of two from last year.

The team’s next game is away against Central Connecticut this Wednesday at 7 p.m. before having a week off from play. They will play their second home game of the season on Sept. 14th when Stony Brook hosts Iona College.