Stony Brook’s Friendly Seawolf Nominated for Best Mascot on Long Island

Wolfie at the first pep rally of the 2010 football season.

Wolfie Seawolf, Stony Brook University’s friendly neighborhood mascot, has been nominated as best mascot by The Long Island Press.

Stony Brook Athletics and the Spirit of Stony Brook marching band were also nominated.

This is the fifth year of the Long Island Press’ “Best of Long Island” poll, and with 215 categories, it is thus far the biggest on Long Island.

The nomination process was open to anyone with internet access between the months of July and August.

Andrea Lebedinski, the Coordinator of Annual Giving and Branding at Stony Brook’s Department of Athletics, is very proud of her favorite mascot.

“Wolfie truly embodies all that we know and love about Stony Brook University. He is more than just a mascot, rather he is the face of the continuous growing spirit, pride and tradition found on campus,” she said.

Lebedinski’s role is to heighten merchandise sales for the university through on and off campus promotional campaigns and to develop new and long-lasting relations with the vendors of the local Stony Brook community.

“Not only does he have a strong connection with the student body but his presence extends into the local Long Island community at the many fairs, festivals and events that he attends,” Lebedinski said. “He is not only our Stony Brook goodwill ambassador, but most importantly our icon.”

Categories in the “Best of Long Island” poll ranged from the standard “Best Hotel on Long Island” to the attention-grabbing “Best Place to Cure a Hangover.”

Though the nomination booth closed August 31 (and only the top 12-15 nominees will advance to the voters round), there was a good turnout of voters this year. There were about fifty percent more voters this summer than last, according to the Long Island Press.

At this point in the game, the most students can do is cross their fingers for their favorite Wolfie. One student who will definitely be crossing her fingers is 19-year-old cheerleader and pre-med student Gabrille Wolfman.

“Wolfie is the most energetic mascot I’ve seen,” Wolfman said. “He really gets the crowd pumping and everyone on their feet. Not only is he an inspiration for our players, but he helps instill faith within the students, faculty, families and friends. We all love Wolfie!”

Probably the most cheerful canine you’ll ever meet, Wolfie has been the mascot at Stony Brook since 1994. The Seawolves became the new team identity after the school’s move to the Division I level. Legend has it that the Seawolf is a sea creature that brings good luck for all who cross its path.

To gain support, and simultaneously score a few more Facebook buddies, Wolfie sent out a Facebook group invitation for  people to vote for his furry self, as well as for Stony Brook Athletics and the Spirit of Stony Brook marching band, all of which were nominated. Supporters included Scott Drucker, with the comment “WOLFIE IS THE BOMB,” and Karen Carlson Behrman, with “Good Luck Wolfie! You got my vote!”

After so much support, Lebedinski is confident in Wolfie’s winning the title of “Best Mascot on Long Island.”

“There are almost too many reasons to list why I believe that he deserves to win,” Lebedinski said. “Wolfie represents the success and excitement that is building both academically and athletically. He is the driving force behind our school spirit and the visual representation of Stony Brook tradition. Everyone loves Wolfie, how could you not?”