Student Union will undergo three-year renovation

Some time during the fall 2016 semester, Stony Brook's Student Union will close for renovations. East Side Dinning, located in the new Toll Drive building, will offer replacement dinning facilities. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
Some time during the fall 2016 semester, Stony Brook’s Student Union will close for renovations. East Side Dining, located in the new Toll Drive building, will offer replacement dining facilities. NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN

Beginning in the 2016-2017 school year, the Student Union will undergo a major three-year renovation.

“The renovation will focus on creating space for departments and programs that directly serve students in order to provide a more efficient and convenient service to students, and will also include study lounges as well as some student office spaces,” said Sonia Garrido, communications manager for the Faculty Student Association, in an email.

For the duration of the three-year renovation, the Student Union will not be operational.

One major change that will take place this fall will be the closing of the Union Starbucks. Many clubs and organizations previously stationed in the building have also been relocated to the Student Activities Center. 

A new Starbucks will open in the basement of the Melville Library in the Shop Red West store. With the completion of the project anticipated for this December, student employees have been offered temporary jobs with campus dining.

“There will be a gap between when Union Starbucks closes and the new library Starbucks opens,” said Alaina Ingram, student manager, in an email to the baristas last month. “During that gap, you will all be offered temporary placement at East Side Dining.”

Though there is no scheduled date for its closing, Starbucks will still be available to students in the meantime.

“Campus Dining is bringing a Starbucks mobile truck to campus beginning the first week of classes,” said Angela Agnello, director of marketing and communications for the Faculty Student Association, in an email. “It will be stationed on the west side of the Student Activities Center (SAC) adjacent to the bus circle.”

East Side Dining will be located in Chávez Hall, the new residential building on Toll Drive, and will serve as a replacement for the Union Commons. It will feature many of the same dining options found in the Union, such as Carlos and Gabby’s Kosher Deli, Island Soul and The Grill. Retail and shopping options will also be available. However, Union Commons will not close until East Side Dining opens later this fall.