Stanley among highest paid public university presidents

Coming in at number 25 out of 258, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. is listed as one of the highest paid public university executives in the United States, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

The report, which catalogued 1,200 executives, accumulated data from almost 600 private universities and 250 public universities. It found that during the 2014-2015 school year, Stanley took home a $690,640 paycheck.

The same year, Stanley was the highest paid SUNY executive – even surpassing SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher, who earned just more than $560,000. According to the report, the median salary for the president of a public university was $384,115 in 2015.

The data also shows that over the past few years, Stanley has experienced a major increase in base pay. From 2009 until 2012 he earned $400,000, but in the 2012-2013 year, it jumped to over $644,000 and the next year to $650,000.

From 2009-2012, in addition to his state funded compensation, Stanley was given $250,000 from the Stony Brook Foundation, which the Chronicle labeled as “deferred compensation set aside.” This extra funding was not incorporated into the analysis of his total compensation.

The Chronicle went on to calculate the amount of compensation per million dollars in expenditures. They found that for every million that Stony Brook spent, Stanley received $319.

How does this affect students? The analysis shows that Stanley’s nearly $700,000 paycheck is equivalent to tuition for 81.9 seawolves.