Stony Brook football takes home opener, 31-14

Highlights: Stony Brook vs. International

It’s official: Hofstra transfers Miguel Maysonet and Brock Jackolski proved they bleed Stony Brook red.

The duo combined for 325 rushing yards in their first game in front of the Stony Brook fans, leading the team to a 31-14 victory over American International.

“We’re excited about the win,” said head coach Chuck Priore. “We played hard and controlled the line of scrimmage on offense. I’m pleased with our performance and satisfied with our work ethic.”

Video: Statesman exclusive footage from the post game press conference

With star tailback Edwin Gowins (Bellport, N.Y.) out this week with a strained abdominal muscle, Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) and Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) made the most of their opportunity. This was a very special performance for the two running backs, as both of them had over 25 friends and family members in the audience.

“I think it was big that we had a big game,” Jackolski said. “We showed Stony Brook what we can offer.”

Coming off a 59-14 loss against South Florida, the Seawolves were able to total 479 yards of offense against the Yellow Jackets.

Jackolski led the team with 167 rushing yards and two touchdowns, and Maysonet ran for 158 yards and a score.

Quarterback Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) had a solid game as well, throwing for 128 yards and a touchdown.

Safety Arin West (Toms River, N.J.) led the defense for the second straight game, this time with nine tackles.

Stony Brook was able to get on the scoreboard with a little more than three minutes left in the first quarter when Coulter was able to find Matt Brevi (Tampa, Fla.) streaking down the sideline for a 35-yard touchdown pass. Maysonet came up big on the drive, rushing for 22 yards on four carries.

After a Wesley Skiffington (Brandon, Fla.) field goal gave Stony Brook a 10-point lead, American International came storming back as senior quarterback Rob Parent found Davon LeGrier over the middle for a 61-yard bomb.

Two plays later, Parent hit Stephen Benjamin for an eight-yard score. Parent finished the game with 196 passing yards and two touchdowns.

On the ensuing drive, the Seawolves marched 60 yards down the field on nine plays, ending with a Jackolski 11-yard touchdown run to give them a 17-7 lead with 0:34 left in the first half.

In Stony Brook’s first drive of the second half, Jackolski broke a 69-yard run all the way down to the American International five yard line. But the drive would end after Coulter threw an interception to Terrence Holley.

The defense was able to hold the Yellow Jackets to four plays and force a punt.

The Seawolves running game would continue to torture the American International defense, with the duo of Maysonet and Jackolski accounting for 63 yards in the 70-yard drive. Jackolski scored his second touchdown of the game on a 17-yard run to give Stony Brook a three-score lead.

On just the second play of the fourth quarter, Maysonet broke a 48-yard run to score his first touchdown as a Seawolf.

American International was able to add another score on a 36-yard touchdown pass from Parent to Andre Samuels with 3:30 left in the game.

The real story of the game was the dominance of Stony Brook’s offensive line, featuring 6-foot-8 350-pound right tackle Michael Bamiro (Tobyhanna, Pa.).

“I think it was a great debut for me and Brock to have the game we had, but it’s all thanks to my man right here, my roommate ‘Big Mike,’” Maysonet said, patting Bamiro on the back. “He opened up the holes for me and the rest of the guys did as well, and we just made the right reads.”

Bamiro gave all the credit to the running backs saying, “They make our job pretty easy.” But Jackolski begged to differ, responding, “You make the job easy.”

The offensive line got a great push and controlled the line of scrimmage. Running for 325 yards without Gowins, Jackolski was very optimistic about the Seawolves’ offense with all three running backs in the lineup.

“We can be better than that,” he said. “If we execute like we do in practice I think we can be a very good team.”

This is the fourth straight home opener victory for the Seawolves, who haven’t lost at home since Nov. 1, 2008.

They will be on the road next week, traveling to Providence, R.I. to take on Brown University on Sept. 18.