Women shine and men falter at Track & Field Championships

Albany, Hartford, UMBC, UMass Lowell, Vermont, New Hampshire, Binghamton and Maine. Those are the eight other schools in the conference Stony Brook had to face at the America East Track & Field Championships this weekend at the University of Vermont.

The Women’s Track & Field team scored 111 total points, taking fourth at the weelend meet. Meanwhile, the Men’s Track & Field team was only able to muster 44 points, falling into eighth place.

Freshman McKyla Brooks participated in several events throughout the course of the two-day tournament and was able to bring in points for the Seawolves. She alone brought in 24 points for the women. Those points came from a third place finish in the 100-meter final, a second place finish in the 4×100-meter relay final and a first place win in the women’s long jump. Sophomore Kaylyn Gordon came in second in the event for Stony Brook.

Along with Brooks, freshman Chinque Thompson was able to bring in 22 points for Stony Brook. Those points came from a second place finish in the 100-meter dash final, a third place finish in the 200-meter final and the second place finish in the 4×100-meter final that she ran with Brooks in. Combined, Brooks and Thompson won 46 of the 111 total points the women’s side earned over the
two-day weekend.

The women poured in 44 points from the field events, combining with 67 points from the track events to end the championship in fourth place with 111 points.

On the men’s side, the Seawolves earned points from a couple of sprinting events. Freshmen Kevon White and Shane Harris took sixth and seventh, respectively, in the 100-meter dash final, earning the Seawolves five points. Freshman Wayne Williams won two points in 400-meter dash final. No Seawolf was able to clinch the 200-meter final or the 800-meter final.

Long distance running is where the men’s team earned some big points. Senior Gabriel Vasquez earned fifth place in the 1,500-meter run to net Stony Brook five points. Sophomores Michael Watts and Daniel Connelly won nine points in the 5,000-meter run by finishing fourth and fifth, respectively. Stony Brook also won six points from senior Mitchell Kun, who earned third place in the 10,000-meter run.

In the field events, the men struggled. Out of all the field events, the Seawolves were only able to win two points, which came from freshman Bradley Pierre’s seventh place in the men’s triple jump. With a combined score of 44 points, Stony Brook fell to eighth place. The only team that the men’s team beat in the meet was Hartford, which had four
total points.

With the America East Championships over, Albany has emerged victorious as the conference championships for both Men’s and Women’s Track & Field.

Qualified athletes will participate in the IC4A and ECAC Regional track meets next week at Princeton University, as they vie for spots in the NCAA First Round beginning the week after.