High Tech Realm: Party for Technology

Normally this column focuses on technology, but this week we’ll focus on parties. A Windows 7 Party that is! Yes, a party about the most beloved (or at least used) operating system in the world. Would you really have a party between the days of October 22 ‘- 29, to celebrate the latest release of Microsoft Windows?

My initial guess is that Computer Science majors will already be running Linux, art majors will be on Macs, and everyone else is scared of switching. However, provided you don’t have a grudge against Microsoft (or can deal with the flaws with a little ‘liquid confidence’ ‘- Disclaimer: I do not personally condone the use of a computer while intoxicated) and want a free copy of the new edition, along with favors, the party route might be a good option.

Overall, the application process is fairly simple, and the signup site even supports Facebook Connect, meaning you can complete the application with your Facebook login information. Applications are being accepted until the 17th of September.

There doesn’t appear to be any requirements as to the definition of ‘launch party’ ,so feel free to use your imagination. While Microsoft requires hosts to upload party photos and also share experiences (idea: hold a launch party at a nursing home ‘- that will certainly bring new experiences for everyone involved), the majority of college students have used Facebook, so that shouldn’t be an issue ‘- I’d just be sure to keep the kegs away from the computers, because alcohol typically doesn’t mix with electronics. Also, don’t forget the tin-foil hats, so the party looks more futuristic.