USG Treasurer and VP of Student Life chosen in runoff election

jaliel-amador
Jaliel Amador won the runoff election for the Vice President of Student Life of USG against Alex Bouraad on Friday. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN

Undergraduate Student Government elections have finally come to a close. Hikari Oshiro and Jaliel Amador were elected to the positions of Treasurer and Vice President of Student Life in the runoff election this past week, according to a USG Facebook post.

USG held a runoff election after no single candidate managed to win a majority of the votes in the initial election. A total of 3,924 students voted in the runoff compared to 4,295 in the original election.

Students elected Oshiro, a member of the Students’ Party, to the position of Treasurer over Rebecca Anderson from the Stony Brook United Party. Oshiro received 56 percent of the vote compared to Anderson’s 44 percent.

“Winning this position doesn’t just mean a lot to me but also to our party and supporters,” Oshiro said in an email. “I could’ve never came this far without all of the support, and I am truly grateful for it.”

Oshiro is a junior business management and economics major. Her platform included increased transparency, creating a more responsive student government and holding budget workshops for clubs and organizations.

hikari-oshiro
Hikari Oshiro won the runoff election for the Treasurer of USG against Rebecca Anderson on Friday. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN

POOL Party candidate Jaliel Amador was elected Vice President of Student Life with 57 percent of the vote. His competitor from the Stony Brook United Party, Alexander Bouraad, only received 43 percent.

Amador, a sophomore business major, and his party have voiced their desire for an extra reading day. He also plans to focus on the quality and quantity of events on campus and reaching more students with those events.