Brody Eastwood ties school goals record as Seawolves crush River Hawks

After turning his defender completely around, senior midfielder Challen Rogers had space to shoot on the right side of the cage as UMass Lowell defenders honed in to close the gap. But with his eyes locked on senior attackman Brody Eastwood, Rogers opted to feed his British Columbian counterpart, who had snuck behind distracted defenders to the top of the crease.

Quickly avoiding a nearby stick check, Eastwood went behind-the-back to bury his fifth goal of the afternoon. With the game handily won, celebration was business as usual: two fist pounds and easygoing huddle talk.

Despite his nonchalant attitude, Eastwood had just cemented himself in Stony Brook’s record books. With that goal, he tied Jordan McBride career-goal record of 175, leading his team to a 15-7 win over conference rivals UMass Lowell Saturday afternoon at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.

Eastwood reached the mark in his 63rd career game, while McBride did so in 60 games. The pair’s 175 goals are good for 13th-most in Division I history.

Coming off a disappointing overtime loss to Marist, Stony Brook looked to return to winning form against a UMass Lowell team that sits in last place in the America East.

With an early 3-2 lead, the Seawolves would score two unanswered goals off the sticks of sophomore long-stick midfielder Tyler Anderson and junior midfielder Alex Corpolongo, capping off the first quarter.

After the two teams traded goals to start the second quarter, Corpolongo and Anderson would again score back-to-back, this time followed by Eastwood’s third goal of the game.

River Hawk sophomore midfielder Brandon Luitwieler, who led his team with three points, responded with an unassisted goal  with eight seconds left in the half, cutting his team’s deficit to five as the Seawolves headed into the locker room ahead 9-4.

The third quarter belonged to Stony Brook.

UMass Lowell went scoreless throughout the third and was held to three shot attempts to Stony Brook’s 14, none of which were on goal.

Stony Brook maintained a possession advantage, recording 12 of its 37 groundballs in the third quarter, opening up scoring opportunities and keeping the ball out of the hands of UMass Lowell.

Sophomore defenseman Ben Randall led all Seawolves with five ground balls.

Junior midfielder Jeff Reh kicked off the third quarter with a goal off of a dish from junior attackman Ryan Bitzer, who had two assists in the matchup.

Two minutes later, freshman midfielder Justin Pugal buried an assist from Eastwood for his second goal of his career.

Senior attackman Jake Sichenzia would soon add to the barrage with his first goal of the season, giving Stony Brook a 12-4 lead with 4:31 left in the third quarter.

After a goal from Bitzer and back-to-back fourth quarter finishes from Eastwood, the Seawolves would cap off a 15-7 win and receive their tenth win for the second straight season.

Eastwood led all scorers with a game-high five goals.

Anderson’s two goals were a career-high. Corpolongo and senior midfielder Chris Hughes contributed with a pair of their own goals.

Rogers and Bitzer each recorded two assists apiece.

The Seawolves continue conference play on Sunday, April 24 when they head upstate to face the Binghamton Bearcats.