USG elections postponed one week

Undergraduate Student Government elections have been postponed until April 18, according to a statement from USG Vice President of Communications Brody Hooper.

Originally, students could begin voting this Monday, April 11, but they will now have to wait a week. Voting will begin on April 18 at noon and end on April 22 at noon, the statement said.

Hooper said that USG must complete further paperwork before they can send the ballot to the Division of Information Technology to put onto SOLAR. DoIT opens at 8 a.m. and could not guarantee that the ballot would be ready by noon.

“There’s still tons of hours of paper work to do before we can get the ballot up on SOLAR,” Hooper said.

The decision to wait an full week is due to USG bylaws, which state that voting must begin on a Monday and end on the following Friday.

Chapter 7, Article 1.9.2 states that “polling shall be open for a period of four business days, starting at noon on a Monday and ending at noon on the following Friday.”

In the statement, Hooper said that the postponement gives all candidates equal opportunity for campaigning after the suspension in March that cut back on time.

“We don’t want break any more rules,” Hooper said. “It’s there for a reason, to follow it.”

Hooper also said in the statement that Sydney Bryan was selected as the new Elections Board chair.

FEATURED IMAGE CREDIT: STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT GOVERNMENT