Hendrix College residence hall director dies unexpectedly

PHOTO CREDIT: STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY
Sara Weber, above, passed away unexpectedly Saturday night at Hendrix College, where she was a residence hall director. PHOTO CREDIT: STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY

Sara Weber, the residence hall director of Hendrix College in Roth Quad, died unexpectedly in the residence hall on Saturday.

Weber became the Hendrix College residence hall director in January. Before she came to Stony Brook, she worked as a career development coordinator and an admissions assistant at the St. Louis College of Health Careers in Fenton, Missouri, according to her Facebook profile. She was also a member of AmeriCorps, according to an email sent to the campus community by Peter Baigent, Stony Brook’s vice president for student affairs.

“The loss to Sara’s family and friends and all of us in the University community is profound,” Baigent said in the email. “On behalf of Stony Brook University, I express heartfelt condolences to her family, friends and all those who knew and cared for Sara.”

Details regarding funeral and memorial services have not been released. The information will be posted on the Dean of Students website when it becomes available.

Police officers from the University Police Department and Suffolk County Police Department and a Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps ambulance arrived at Hendrix College shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday evening. Officers told observers to move back as the emergency vehicles left the area at around 10 p.m..

Robert Lenahan, the UPD chief, said in an email that UPD was investigating a medical emergency and that there was no danger to the campus community. A Suffolk County Police Department spokesman said during the investigation that the death is believed to be noncriminal.

Michaela Kilgallen and Kelly Saberi contributed to reporting.