Softball falls to UC Davis in only contest of weekend

PHOTO CREDIT: MOHAMMAD F EMRAN
The softball team had four out of its five games cancelled last week in California due to inclement weather. The team will head back to New York to face St. John’s on Wed. March 16.  PHOTO CREDIT: MOHAMMAD FEMRAN

After having four of its five scheduled games cancelled due to inclement weather, the Seawolves dropped their only game of the weekend on Saturday at University of California, Davis, 5-0. Senior pitcher Jane Sallen threw a complete game, allowing all five runs in the first two innings. She struck out five batters and gave up five hits throughout the game.

UC Davis junior pitcher Andrea Reynolds was able to hold Stony Brook’s lineup to just two hits over seven innings of work, racking up five strikeouts in the process. Freshman second baseman Danielle Kemp and sophomore third baseman Chelsea Evans were the only Seawolves to get hits off of Reynolds, with Kemp slugging a double and Evans hitting a single.

The Aggies devastated the Seawolves on the basepaths, as they scored four of their five runs in the first inning. UC Davis had three walks and five stolen bases — including a steal of home by junior center fielder Brianna Warner — as the home team took an imposing lead in the opening frame.

Stony Brook started its second game of the day against Seattle University, building a 3-0 lead after four and a half innings. Senior outfielder Diane Caruso drove in two of the Seawolves’ runs, with first baseman Melissa Phelan bringing the other run home.

Sophomore pitcher Maddy Neales held Seattle scoreless through four innings. The Redhawks loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the fifth inning, but the weather worsened and the umpires called the game off. The game did not officially count, since NCAA rules dictate that five full innings must have been played for a contest to become official.

Stony Brook will head to the Big Apple to take on St. John’s this Wednesday, followed by a trip to Connecticut to take on Fairfield on Thursday. The Seawolves will return to Long Island for the home opener in the Stony Brook Invitational this weekend. The team will play Providence, Holy Cross and Fairfield at University Field.