SBU Dance Marathon shakes things up for a cause

Finals, papers, relationships, homework, classes and extracurricular activities all ensure one thing: stress. One proven outlet for relieving stress is shakin’ what yo’ momma gave ya, and Stony Brook Dance Marathon, a new club on campus this semester, is aiming to let you twerk and nae-nae for a better cause.

The club is a chapter of a larger organization known as Dance Marathon. Dance Marathon operates as a fundraiser for the Children’s Miracle Network and its associated hospitals who attempt to help children with all types of illnesses, terminal or otherwise. From its start in 1991, Dance Marathon has raised over $106 million nationwide. The Stony Brook chapter, which had its genesis in August, has decided to use this year’s inaugural event to raise money for Cohen’s Children’s Hospital, which is part of the Children’s Miracle Network.

The event itself is geared towards having fun. Alysha Bullock, vice president of Dance Marathon at Stony Brook, said that students should “expect a great show, a lot of musical performances such as dance teams, vocal groups and others” which Dance Marathon is bringing to the event in order to try to make the 12 straight hours of dancing — or at least standing — for a cause a staple at Stony Brook.

If you’re thinking this sounds a lot like THON, Penn State’s 46-hour no-sitting, no-sleeping dance marathon which last year raised over $13 million for charity, that’s because it is. In fact, when asked about the comparison to THON, Bullock said that she can “only hope that one day Stony Brook Dance Marathon becomes as embedded in Stony Brook tradition as THON, because both are great events that look to raise a lot of money for their respective communities.”

The first dance marathon will take place on April 16 from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. in the LDS Center in H Quad.