Warney sets America East record

IMG_0526_Jameel
Stony Brook Men’s Basketball senior forward Jameel Warney (No.20, above) won an America East-record 15th Player of the Week Award, the conference announced on Monday. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN

In a contest on Saturday afternoon between two of the favorites to earn the America East’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament, Stony Brook and Vermont, it was one player who stole the show: senior forward Jameel Warney.

The New Jersey-native scored 23 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and also blocked four shots in the men’s basketball team’s 72-61 victory to go with another double-double on Monday in a win against Maine to earn his conference-record 15th America East Player of the Week award.

Warney’s performances over the two games earned him his fifth Player of the Week honor this season, as the Seawolves have played their way to an 8-0 record in the America East, putting Stony Brook in first place.

The two-time America East Player of the Year currently leads the conference in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 18.2 points per game, while also grabbing 10.4 rebounds per contest. He also leads the America East in blocks with 3.1 per game and is second in field goal percentage.

Behind Warney, Stony Brook won its first game at Vermont during the regular season since 2010, when the Seawolves won the regular season conference title before falling to Boston University in the America East semifinals.

Head coach Steve Pikiell’s team will look to extend its nation-leading winning streak to 14 on Wednesday, when Stony Brook hosts Binghamton at 7 p.m..