Stony Brook Basketball maintains conference perfection

Freshman guard Davion Wingate (No. 1, above)
Freshman guard Davion Wingate (No. 1, above) scored a season-high of 18 points during the Stony Brook Women’s Basketball game on Saturday, Jan. 16 against New Hampshire. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

Another double-header of Stony Brook Basketball yielded another two victories for the Seawolves on Saturday.

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball continued its undefeated start to conference play, blowing out New Hampshire—a team that took three-time defending America East champion Albany to overtime in a loss on Tuesday—80-50 on the road.

Leading the way for the Seawolves was junior guard Ahmad Walker, who scored a season-high 19 points to lead the team.

The Port Washington-native was all over the stat sheet against the Wildcats. Offensively, he was the go-to guy for the Seawolves, going 6-for-12 from the field while getting to the free throw line seven times. His court vision was also on full display, as he dished a game-high four assists, including a second half ball reversal to senior guard Carson Puriefoy for a 3-pointer.

But Walker was not the only Seawolf with a good game offensively. Senior forwards Jameel Warney and Rayshaun McGrew, along with Puriefoy, scored in double digits with 12, 10 and 15 points, respectively.

Although he had 12 points, the Wildcats’ defense limited Warney’s offensive involvement as New Hampshire often double-teamed him in the post. Wildcats sophomore forward Iba Camara held Warney scoreless in the first eight minutes until the two-time America East Player of the Year scored on a tip-in off of a missed shot.

Although he started off the game slowly, Warney made his presence known on the glass with nine rebounds. He even showed off his unselfishness with four assists.

McGrew was the defensive star of the team, as he held New Hampshire’s leading scorer, sophomore forward Tanner Leissner, scoreless in the first half and to a single point for the entire game.

The Seawolves’ individual successes resulted in a 40-21 team lead at halftime. Their offensive display prompted the Wildcats to switch to a 2-3 zone defense and pressure ball handlers up the court.

New Hampshire’s zone made little difference, though, as holes were aplenty for Stony Brook to attack.

New Hampshire’s full court press could not stand up to Stony Brook’s three-guard tandem of junior guard Lucas Woodhouse, Walker and Puriefoy. Woodhouse’s natural inclination for passing easily broke the press, allowing the Seawolves to set up their offense in the half court.

After halftime, Walker continued his offensive showcase. The junior guard continued his scoring tear by adding 11 more points.

The Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team also defeated New Hampshire on Saturday as freshman guard Davion Wingate scored a season-high 18 points to lift the Seawolves over the Wildcats, 63-54, in Island Federal Credit Union Arena.

Wingate scored many of her points from the free throw line, where she went 9-for-12. Her passing skills were on display as she led the team with four assists.

While Wingate had the most points and assists, freshman forward Ogechi Anyagaligbo had the biggest game. She notched her fifth double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Anyagaligbo also chipped in defensively with two blocks and three steals.

But Anyagaligbo’s biggest moment came in the third quarter. The freshman scored nine points in the quarter to help give Stony Brook breathing room with a 45-34 lead.

Wildcats senior guard Elizabeth Belanger had 32 points on the day, leading New Hampshire’s attempt to stay close.

But senior forward Brittany Snow and company closed out the fourth quarter strongly. Snow scored seven of her 16 points in the final frame to secure Stony Brook’s victory.

Redshirt sophomore forward Elizabeth Manner also came up big for the Seawolves. Manner scored all eight of her points in the first quarter to give the Seawolves an early eight-point lead. She had come into the game averaging four points per game for the season.

Both teams will look to remain undefeated in conference play as they each take on Hartford on Jan. 18. The men will continue their road trip while the women take on the Hawks at home.

Correction: January 18, 2016

A previous version of this article attributed this piece to the wrong author. The article was written by Kunal Kohli.