State, county police increase security at Planned Parenthood clinics

New York State will be increasing security at Planned Parenthood locations across the state following Friday’s shooting at a Planned Parenthood facility in Colorado, according to a news release from Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

State Police increased patrols on Friday and beginning today will travel to over 60 Planned Parenthood locations to help with increased security and emergency planning measures.

The Suffolk County Police Department released a statement Friday saying that while no specific threat had been made towards any Suffolk County Planned Parenthood locations, the department would be increasing patrols and keeping close contact with law enforcement agencies as a precaution.

“Friday’s shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic was a senseless act of violence that has left us shocked and heartbroken,” Cuomo said in the news release in response to Friday’s shooting in Colorado. “While we are still learning more about what led to this horrendous attack in Colorado, we are taking appropriate precautions and doing everything possible to prevent similar tragedies from taking place in our state.”

The gunman, identified as Robert L. Dear Jr., 57, opened fire in the parking lot of a Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic Friday morning, killing three people and wounding nine others, according to The New York Times. After a hostage situation, Dear surrendered and was taken into custody, according to authorities. The wounded, including five law enforcement officers, were taken to local hospitals for treatment.

“The information regarding the gunman’s motive remains unknown as does whether Planned Parenthood was targeted deliberately,” Lauren Tobias, the president and CEO of Family Planning Advocates and Planned Parenthood Advocates of New York State, said in the news release. “But unfortunately there is a history of people bringing violence to health centers in the past and so an incident such as this underscores the need for vigilance to ensure that patients and the staff that provide services are safe at all health centers. We will work with the Governor’s office, local law enforcement and Planned Parenthood affiliates to make sure health centers in New York can continue to provide safe and accessible high quality health care.”

There have been eight murders, 17 attempted murders, 42 bombings and 186 arsons against abortion clinics and providers in the past 38 years, according to a Nov. 30 Vox Media report.